A master of his art - Knights helmet

Yup, very handy too. I’ve been contemplating making something like that for my pneumatic rivet squeeze. But for big stuff like that helmet the arbor press would rock.

@C-Bag It is much harder to make shoulder protection, because of all the degrees of freedom of movement. I used to make armour in the 1980s. I made several sets but the effort exceeded the return.

For me, lots of shrinking = thumbnail dies but the arbor press is a good alternative.

Yes. Have not gotten there yet. I could make the dies but I think buying might be the best way to go if you want instant success. I attempted to make them for use on the CP planishing hammer but that was really not the right machine for the task. Maybe I should try adapting them to the Pullmax and see what I get....

Absolutely. Not until I went back and looked at an old Fournier book I have did I get the difference between a planisher and a recip like the Pullmax and tuck shrinking. There’s a lot of nuance there amongst the violence:)

Make It Kustom just built his own recip and thumbnail and it’s got me wishing I had a recip again. More pressing is how to find the time though. Being busy with production is a good problem but leaves little time for anything else.

I could see that, lots of hours of effort involved. How did you learn?
Self taught. I was in a medieval recreation society, and needed armour for recreated battles. It had to be functional and look close to authentic. So I looked at a lot of pictures, and bashed steel plate until I got it right. Towards the end I got really into chain mail, and made samplers of chain mail all the way up to 12:1... I even visited the back rooms of the Royal Ontario Museum and examined in detail dozens of mail shirts, including one partial made for Henry VIII. The riveting on the links was perfect!

After a while I moved on to other social activities. Good times!

Self taught.
Watching YouTube is way faster for me. That kind of passion for me is hard to sustain. It’s the juice that keeps me going and when it’s gone it’s time for me to move on. I know it doesn’t seem the same but that’s how music was for me. And the greatest juice producer was in the right band as that sustained me. But they are close to impossible to form and then sustain as any group of ever changing humans is. After 40+yrs I think I’m done. So now on to metal illness which like learning music is a solitary pursuit in the learning stage and is so varied with an infinite directions to explore.

Back