A mill and what needed tooling and accessories .

A brass hammer is throne in the mix , but point to what you need . Keep in mind , air tools , about 30 or so .

Attachments

• IMG_8341.JPG
    IMG_8341.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 23
I'm not seeing the regulator only that I saw before, and a hold down set for a BP would work

That’s interesting. Do you use ER32 collets rather than R8 because it’s what you have, or do they offer a functional advantage for you?

I initially got the ER32 so I could use for the collet blocks and with a collet chuck on my lathe. I later found that a decent full set of R8 is expensive, their clamping range for each collet is extremely limited, they take an awful lot of Z height to swap out and messing with the drawbar is an arse when the quill is extended. With the ER collets in, I can swap tools with little more than 1" of Z clearance if needed as the tool can be pushed in and the collet rolled out of the chuck. Useful when lacking Z clearance and saves a ton of cranking the knee for a collet swap, so worth the loss of 1.5" Z in most instances!

I do use the R8 for the few larger 3/4 shank cutters I have, slitting saws and suchlike. Everything else goes in the ER for convenience. I've found I can swap drills out almost as quick as the Jacobs, so it often saves swapping that in too.

For what I do, a small range of well chosen R8 collets and full set of ER32 is absolutely spot on and actually economical.

Speaking of angle plates Dave do you have any smaller sets?

@LoFi - Thanks for the rundown, I appreciate the insight.
The attached may or may not be helpful to you. Like LoFi, I too run ER32 collet chucks on my knee mill. Also, a power drawbar on the mill really take a lot of the grind out of tool chaning. I also use ER40 to interchange between the lathe and mill.

Attachments

• About ER and 5C Collets June 2021.pdf
    10.9 MB · Views: 6
Back