A New Home for my Karl Benz Engine

I didn't know there was going to be a receiver.

Ray

I haven't ruled making the Benz radio controlled as I have had an offer of parts but that is a long way off.

I did get the gear box mounted with one bolt today.
IMG_2222.JPG

I need to get the chains on before I can determine just where the second bracket and bolt will be. I was going to make a differential drive but I think it will work fine with a straight axle.

Thanks for looking
Ray

Good progress. I think a straight axle will be fine. Even one wheel drive maybe. Did the original have a diff?

Yes the drive belt rode on the outside of the driven drum with the gears on the inside.

Ray

Reactions: rwm
I made a couple of bushings for the small chain sprockets and temp installed the chains to determine where the other gear box bolt will go. I may have to make an off set bracket for the gear box mount but will see.

IMG_2225.JPG

IMG_2226.JPG
The right side of the main shaft is close enough to the gear box that it won't need another bearing at the frame rail.

IMG_2227.JPG
The left side is going to have a brass bushing and a bracket attached to the frame rail for the main shaft.

Thanks for looking
Ray

Very impressive results!

Thank you Robert and Wachuka it is appreciated.

It really is better to be lucky than good as the second bolt for the gear box goes directly through the frame rail. Bolted there both chains are at a nice tension and no 1/2 links were used.

IMG_2228.JPG

I made and installed the left side main shaft bearing and you can still easily turn the shaft with your fingers. The shaft goes through 3 bronze bushings and the last gear reduction gear so there are many places for binding but I got lucky again.

IMG_2230.JPG

Thanks for looking
Ray

but I got lucky again.
Ray, I can think of many things to describe your work, but I don't think luck plays much of role. Your skill at moving from envisioning to fabrication is very impressive. I can only imagine that you have had many years (decades?) of design and fabrication experience to get to this point.

Back