A new project

12bolts

Global Moderator
Registered
With the coming of our seasonal wet summer I am going to need something to keep me occupied whilst the roads are flooded, so......... when I saw this bargain it was too good an opportunity to pass up.
It had been disassembled for transport, (I was assured that it was running prior), He had it "stored" in the downstairs dunny. Bed and leadscrew leaning up in one corner, all the other parts in the milk crates and cardboard boxes. "I think" the grassy stuff is just that, and not some hooter!
I unloaded it all onto my welding bench, (because it was handy, AND empty at the time), so you get to see it pretty much how I saw it first too.

IMG_5041.jpg IMG_5042.jpg IMG_5043.jpg IMG_5044.jpg

The price was right, and included a 2nd headstock as well.....

IMG_5045.jpg IMG_5046.jpg IMG_5047.jpg IMG_5048.jpg IMG_5052.jpg

Emptied everything out onto the bench to see what I had...............

At 1st glance it seems to be pretty much everything I need.
I guess we shall just see.

Cheers Phil

IMG_5053.jpg IMG_5054.jpg IMG_5055.jpg IMG_5056.jpg IMG_5057.jpg IMG_5058.jpg IMG_5059.jpg

G'day Mayhem,
Its a Hercus (Australian) 9" with changewheels and power cross feed, so pretty much a copy of a southbend model B.
Not sure of the year yet, but its one of the earlier models, as it has the tiny micrometer dials on the slides.
Going out to get my hands dirty now.

Cheers Phil

A "man-size" Erector Set :biggrin: It'll be very cool to see that come together. Nice catch.

-Ron

Hey, 12. Before I read down that far, I had decided that it was a Hercus B. Same colour as mine. My AR bears S.N. 13512V, which I placed at around the first week of February, 1971.

See what you can do with this list, if the label is still on yours:
Hercus dates & serial no's.jpg

Hercus dates & serial no's.jpg

See what you can do with this list, if the label is still on yours

Thanks for that Mike.
It does'nt have a label, but it has A7029 stamped on the bed at the far right end. So I'm guessing about 1959 from your list.

cheers Phil

IMG_5067.jpg

Interesting. I just checked the bed on mine. It shows model and S.N. That would seem to show that your bed was originally from an A model. Somewhere along the way, it got swapped around. The tailstock should also have the serial number at the outboard end of the base. It should match the lathe number, since they tweaked each tailstock to match that particular lathe.

Interesting. I just checked the bed on mine. It shows model and S.N. That would seem to show that your bed was originally from an A model. Somewhere along the way, it got swapped around. The tailstock should also have the serial number at the outboard end of the base. It should match the lathe number, since they tweaked each tailstock to match that particular lathe.

Hi Mike,
There is also a BS stamped in the "other" way, directly below the serial #. Sorry its a bit glary, I need some daylight to avoid the flash. Do you have anything on yours?

My tailstock has 153 stamped on it on the underside.

Do they stamp the serial number on the headstock at all?

Cheers Phil

IMG_5066.jpg

Anyone got ideas on disassembling the tumbler gear plate locking pin as shown on the pic.
I have gripped the locating pin as tight as I dare with vise grips and tried to unscrew the knurled section, but all I am doing is damaging the pin.

Also should the tailstock ram locknut just unscrew from the back. I have give it a good heave left and right but no go. I cant see any retaining pins or other locking. It is heavily coated with paint so I am going to have another go tomorrow in daylight as the missus does'nt like me using the power tools at 10PM!

Cheers Phil

IMG_5091.jpg IMG_5090.jpg

Back