A new project

Like everything else, the chuck was in need of a work over.
IMG_5113.jpg

Full disassemble and clean.
IMG_5116.jpg

The scroll had the last 40 mm of thread cracking away so I knocked that off with the grinder.
IMG_9647.jpg

Missing a few teeth, so I am thinking about building the jaw back up with some welds and grinding new teeth.
IMG_5118.jpg

Cheers Phil

IMG_5113.jpg

IMG_5113.jpg

IMG_5116.jpg

IMG_5116.jpg

IMG_9647.jpg

IMG_9647.jpg

IMG_5118.jpg

IMG_5118.jpg

Interesting. The shot of the cross-slide shows that the setscrews that lock the compound swivel are toward the rear of the cross-slide. Mine has them angled toward the operator. Southbends that I've seen have them toward the rear. I assume that later Hercus lathes moved them to the front.

I made them even more convenient by replacing the protruding square-head screws with hex-socket setscrews that hide inside, where there is no danger of a chuck strike.

Hi Mike,
Thats a good suggestion for the compound lock screws, I think I'll go that way too.

Been making some good progress this past week.
IMG_9706-1.jpg

Assembled with replacement thrust washer.
IMG_9766.jpg

Shimmed up the tailstock to get close to centre. I have a nice sharp dead centre for the headstock, but the running centre for the tailstock is too knocked around, so I am going to turn up a new centre for the tailstock to indicate the error and try to get it spot on.
IMG_5125.jpg

Got the carriage all assembled, minus the clutch assy, Motor all mounted. Didnt bother to repaint the motor as I will be replacing that shortly with something a bit bigger.
IMG_5126.jpg

Cheers Phil

IMG_9706-1.jpg

IMG_9706-1.jpg

IMG_9766.jpg

IMG_9766.jpg

IMG_5125.jpg

IMG_5125.jpg

IMG_5126.jpg

IMG_5126.jpg

I find those "H" pattern drives a bit scary. Mine has the horizontal "P" pattern. There was a ban on use of Hercus lathes for a while in Australian schools until they installed approved drive guards.

I'm very impressed with this rebuild. Thanks for documenting this Phil. I'm looking forward to seeing the next phase of progress. The only old iron I have is a WWII vintage Ammco 7" shaper. I like old iron but it is hard to find where I live.

I'm going to try to send you a PM.

Why does that Hercus look so much like a South Bend 9? Am I crazy?

John

John,
I understood that the Hercus 9" was made under licence from South Bend as "part of the war effort".

This site seems to say otherwise http://www.lathes.co.uk/hercus/ .

I had an old "C" model that had a turret (or capstan if you prefer) fitted to it. Whilst it was very cheap, it was very badly worn so sold it after I decided it was not good enough to do what I wanted to do . Next I purchased a new "ARF" i.e A Model, roller bearings, and faster speed. As I was making carburettor parts I needed the speed. 3/8" was big as far as I was concerned.

Next came a new "c" base without lead screw and again "R" & "F". The cross slide was special in the it had 2 tool posts 1 front 1 on back and lever operated by. A turret also fitted, it was quite a good set up for small work. But I hated working it. Like to make 1 or 2 off, maybe even 10 but 1,000 would have me sent to the funny farm. When I started needing over 1,000 items in a run, I would pass the job over to a back-yarder who had a couple of automatics.

Another new A model was purchased with roller bearings. Used mainly facing ali casting using power cross feed.

The only thing I have left is a Spare parts manual. All was sold with the business when I became ill in 1995.

Back