A score at the thrift shop - Gloat?

jgedde

Active User
Registered
My wife heard there was a beautiful dining set and china cabinet at a thrift store about 15 minutes away. They wanted $150. While we both agreed it wasn't for us, we decided to look around. I found a novel tool for sharpening chain saw blades while on the saw, and asked my wife jokingly if she knew what it was. She didn't know, but the proprietor overhead us and asked what it was because he himself didn't know. When I told him, he asked if I was some kind of machinist...

That got us talking... He said he had bought a bunch of old tools from a machinist that had passed away and hadn't had time to go through the stuff and put it out. In fact, he said he had no idea what most of it even was. So, he took me in the back and started showing me what he brought over (there's still a ton of stuff not yet brought in).

The first thing that caught my eye was a Kennedy toolbox. Hmmm. I wondered... Of course that's where all the good stuff would be kept. Upon opening it, I found it full of stuff.

I said, what the heck. I don't have time to sort through all this stuff and make offers for what I wanted. He of course, hadn't had time to either... So, I said, how about I make you an offer for the box and everything in it? He said, go ahead. I offered him $100 cash on the spot and he readily accepted. Here's what I got:

DSC00181.jpgDSC00184.jpgDSC00185.jpgDSC00186.jpgDSC00187.jpgDSC00188.jpgDSC00189.jpgDSC00190.jpgDSC00191.jpgDSC00192.jpgDSC00193.jpgDSC00182.jpgDSC00183.jpg

I myself don't know what some of the items are, namely the dial indicator thing in the fourth photo... I haven't had a chance to really pour through it all, so I don't even know what's in there yet. I took photos and went and started automotive chores. She's still sitting in the back of the truck awaiting me.

A good deal?

John

DSC00181.jpg DSC00182.jpg DSC00183.jpg DSC00184.jpg DSC00185.jpg DSC00186.jpg DSC00187.jpg DSC00188.jpg DSC00189.jpg DSC00190.jpg DSC00191.jpg DSC00192.jpg DSC00193.jpg

Last edited:
John, that is a great score :thumbzup:
I bet you were glad you went over and did some chatting :biggrin::drinkingbeer:

:thumbsup: You just bought the box for that price, everything in it was free!

Fantastic score! Most Kennedys I see on offer go for $200-300US. The stuff in it was probably worth double that again.
I recently picked up a Acet-O=Lite torch kit from Goss, still in the origional packageing. That kit sells online for $135US and up.

Chuck

Nice score, too bad some of the contents were mistreated but think they can be brought back to real nice condition.

Good score John. That's right up there with the best of them.

"Billy G"

Back