A Slight Conundrum

nvrquit

Registered
Registered
I have a current standing back-order for a PM-25MV w/DRO. My shop is limited in space and having the ability to rearrange to fit temporary needs is more than just convenient. With that in mind, I came up with a modification of the Grizzly T28922 mobile base. The mod was to replace the two(2) fixed wheel corner brackets, with two(2) of the caster wheeled corners(ordered separately). The mod also allows the ability to have leveling feet for all four(4) corners, for best leveling regardless of floor contours. A good plan, however the previous PM-25MV stand is no longer available(discontinued), the new design is not amenable to my already assembled mobile base(and not available until the new year anyway). The base/stand for the PM-30MV has the same dimensions listed for the stand. In point of fact, the exact same picture is shown on the stand web pages for each machine. When I contacted Precision to attempt to purchase the PM-30MV stand, they refused to sell me said stand, even when I indicated I would accept the fact that I may have to modify said stand for the MV-25MV(mounting bolt locations, etc). They just would absolutely not sell me the stand(John in sales at Precision). So I'm left to either build my own, hope that I can locate one from other sources or completely rearrange my planned shop layout/plans (not very likely). I know I should have either ordered the stand with the mill(timing wasn't good for that) or not been openly honest and just ordered that stand without discussing the situation with Precision first(so much for honesty). This stand situation with Precision has left a bad taste in my mouth. Wish me luck.....

Think liability ----
If liability is the overarching concern(and in today's litigious environment, it generally is), then the exampled pics on the respective pages, specs provided in related pages and information regarding same should reflect the differences between machine specific stands. And yes, I do have a bit of background with former employment regarding like issues in different fields. In this instance, the lack of such detail leads to unexpected surprise(and slight disappointment). However, your point has some validity.....

Perhaps Grizzly has a stand that will fit your mill?

you're on here because you're a maker. build your own?
A "maker" is a bit short in reasoning for joining here, but yes partly. I was hoping to avoid the time (and possibly expenditure for this particular instance and item), but building a stand may come to be the only viable option. Again, shop space area and the ability to temporarily move equipment to open up workspace, led me to the route taken and the then available stand, offered a ready made and workable way forward(using the indicated modified Grizzly mobile base). The search for like options will continue, as time allows me to do so.

If a Grizzly stand of like dimensions is/were available and can be purchased separately from their associated equipment, then perhaps this may be the route to take. Worth the time to investigate.....

Now, please, no one take this as a vigil against Precision, as it is not. Just slightly disappointing. However, if someone just orders a stand on-line and doesn't indicate the details as I honestly shared with Precision(prompting their denial of sale for the PM-30 stand), would the sale be completed without an inquiry by Precision for intended use? It does beg the question....

There is a high probability that they are limited on the number of stands they have available to match up with the associated mill.

I find that the stands offered by most of these places are cheaply made and offer little in the way of storage. I built the stand for my 833T for less $$ than PM charges plus it is far stronger and is at the correct height for me. Same goes for the PM1022 lathe that I had (sold it with the custom stand). The Eisen 1440 lathe I bought this year came with a stand that is about 6" too short for me. I will not make a new one but I am going to have to make a couple of risers to bring it up where it is comfortable for me. That will be one of my winter projects.

the sheet metal stands they offer are not appealing to me. I originally ordered a 728VT without the stand as it was the light weight one and I was going to make a stand out of 2x2 square pipe. when I switched to the 932M I bought the stand as it is cast iron and not much more money than the sheet metal one for the 728.

There is a high probability that they are limited on the number of stands they have available to match up with the associated mill.

I find that the stands offered by most of these places are cheaply made and offer little in the way of storage. I built the stand for my 833T for less $$ than PM charges plus it is far stronger and is at the correct height for me. Same goes for the PM1022 lathe that I had (sold it with the custom stand). The Eisen 1440 lathe I bought this year came with a stand that is about 6" too short for me. I will not make a new one but I am going to have to make a couple of risers to bring it up where it is comfortable for me. That will be one of my winter projects.
Granted, the "factory stand" from Precision(and like from other importers) may not be the most robust of construction, however the dimensions just happen to lend itself to the space limitations in what is my shop area. Along with the Grizzly modded mobile base, it would allow for relatively easy rearrangement of equipment when such may be necessary. I already had modified my other workbench for similar mobility, which will be the future roost for when the lathe is purchased. Perhaps someday when the time allows, I'll post the pics from that operation.

Regarding the stand inventory to match the mill quantity, I'm not sure that is so. I base that on the knowledge that stands were available after the back-order status of the PM-25MV occurred and then some time following, the stands went on unavailable(discontinued). Add to that the fact that standing back-ordered PM-25MV's are to arrive and I am willing to wager I am likely not the only customer that did not request a stand when the mill order was placed. This and the possibility that any non-back-ordered PM-25MV's that are for standing inventory, will at this time have no stands available until the new design is shipped(prospectively not until the new year, at the time I received notification of same). So, I do not believe the inventory match-up concept likely applies to this situation. I'm sure there are other, unknown to us, factors, but variations are most likely similar.

On the Harbor Freight toolbox, I have to chuckle. I do have one, the five(5) drawer lift-lid variety. I got tired of swapping tools from the Snap-On roll away in the garage(I used to turn a wrench in a former life) and decided that would do for tool storage in the basement workshop. That may not turn out to be the case, as we all know that tools seem to be like closet space in the house... you always seem to out-grow the capacity.....

Last edited:
Back