A style/usage question about QCTP - how do you run yours? (question #2, less dumb)

I should have added, buy a bunch of tool holders so every tool really is "quick change."

I find moving your tool position is done way more than I ever thought it would, for all kinds of reasons. Keep those wrenches handy to change tooling angles and positions.

I made a "fixed handle" for my tool post so I don't have to fumble around with a wrench, faster and I'm lazy.

Fortunately, the lock nut for my tailstock is 7/8 and the nut for my QCTP is 22mm. I have a cut off 7/8 box wrench that lives on the tailstock nut. It's right there when I need it.

A lot of good advice here - thanks for all the input!

I've gone full in on the QCTP, purchased a bunch more holders and will set them up with different tools as needed. I'm already appreciating it. All my tooling is HSS or brazed tips on some boring bars.

I need to get a dedicated wrench for the tool post so it's easier to rotate it when needed, right now I'm using a crescent wrench :confused:
Once I've built up a bigger selection of mounted tooling, I should be able to reach most cuts with the QCTP. If I box myself into a corner with the tail stock center in the way, I can always fall back on my lantern style holder.

I don’t rotate my QCTP often. However I keep a wrench I have the open end cut off so when I have to move it around it would be handy. For wrench’s like that I get them at Autozone or Advance because they are high quality

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why not make a new nut with a ball handle?
I soon got fed up with searching for the spanner.
I also got rid of the spring loaded stop from underneath and use a brown paper shim to stop any rotation.
I had to do that because I move it into many different positions depending upon what I cut.

Simple answer to the toolpost question. Set it at what you need . Most always it is set at 90 degrees because your parting blades / cut off blades / grooving tools are ready to part . If I need to swing the compound to a weird angle most of the time I will reset the post to 90 . ( unless I'm feeling lazy )

I’m moving my QCTP constantly, to whatever angle is needed to get the job done.

Back