A Westbury 10cc Boxer Engine

I understand now that you only used one bolt in the center instead of two as in the drawing. Sure makes it easier to align the throws your way. I think you will be alright as there isn't too much twisting motion on the crank not like a heavy flywheel would be.
Good build

Ray

Hello Ray, sorry for the delay.
You have sharp eyes, yes, after that photo was taken I made a new crosslink which incorporated two pinch bolts just inside the journals. This allowed me to align one side at a time, and readjust if necessary until the crank ran true. I can easily take things apart again as well.
I have run the engine a number of times now. Starting is predictable. One needs three hands to adjust needle valve, throttle and advance to fine tune it at any particular RPM. It seems to be able to use a lot of advance for high speed, maybe 25 degrees! It has some vibration at low speed which is not a problem but really buzzes at high speed - but it hasn't blown up yet. It throttles down nicely and runs quite happily at the lower end. I haven't noticed any particular over heating either. Am happy with that expensive electronic ignition system and power it with a flat pack of 8 AA batteries (12 V). If I can get my Chicom digital tack to register I'll post some RPM info.

Appreciate the comment and thanks for looking.

Have an update for those of you that have been following this build. Am guessing that I have about 30 minutes run time on the Boxer and it is still showing the same traits. Not hard to start using the drill, need 1-1/2 turns on the needle valve, retard the timing, 1/2 throttle, momentary finger over the intake to choke it and it usually goes. The tach has shown runs to 5800 but still lots of vibration, alternately it seems really happy at 1200. Slobbers a lot of fuel but at least it is well oiled! Still demonstrates good compression when turned over by hand. A H-M friend dropped in and can confirm this. Just for kicks we took the motor apart to see what things looked like. The 3 piece crank bolts were still tight which was my biggest concern and everything else seems fine as well.
In other news I have four diesels sitting on the shelf which I need to get running - just have to find the right fuel or else covert them to glo engines!
While I ponder all that I have decided to make the Model Craft twin, as described in the June 1946 Science and Mechanics magazine article. Will use bar stock and some of the specs I'll have to work out on my own but there is enough data to make the build. I think it is about a 32.5 cc engine and will be my biggest one to date. I'll be able to use the Boxer ignition system which will save a lot. Don't know how long it will take but will post when I have made some progress.
Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• DSC07928.jpeg
    DSC07928.jpeg
    544.7 KB · Views: 11
Have an update for those of you that have been following this build. Am guessing that I have about 30 minutes run time on the Boxer and it is still showing the same traits. Not hard to start using the drill, need 1-1/2 turns on the needle valve, retard the timing, 1/2 throttle, momentary finger over the intake to choke it and it usually goes. The tach has shown runs to 5800 but still lots of vibration, alternately it seems really happy at 1200. Slobbers a lot of fuel but at least it is well oiled! Still demonstrates good compression when turned over by hand. A H-M friend dropped in and can confirm this. Just for kicks we took the motor apart to see what things looked like. The 3 piece crank bolts were still tight which was my biggest concern and everything else seems fine as well.
In other news I have four diesels sitting on the shelf which I need to get running - just have to find the right fuel or else covert them to glo engines!
While I ponder all that I have decided to make the Model Craft twin, as described in the June 1946 Science and Mechanics magazine article. Will use bar stock and some of the specs I'll have to work out on my own but there is enough data to make the build. I think it is about a 32.5 cc engine and will be my biggest one to date. I'll be able to use the Boxer ignition system which will save a lot. Don't know how long it will take but will post when I have made some progress.
Thanks for looking.
That is just so cool.

Back