A Wireless Networking Question

Yes, that's what I would do. Your TP-Link router is serving DHCP but apparently it's not getting to the LAN interface of the wireless bridge. Set that to 192.168.0.200 with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 and see if you can ping the outside world while hardwired to the LAN interface.

John
Ooops! That locked me out of the router. LOL.

You changed the IP address on the wireless bridge and now you can's access the TP-Link router? What exactly is your computer connected to?

You changed the IP address on the wireless bridge and now you can's access the TP-Link router? What exactly is your computer connected to?
No, I cannot connect to the RadioLabs bridge/router. The tp-link router is fine.

Okay, I'm heading into work soon but if you're trying to connect to the bridge I assume you're plugged directly into it with a Cat 5 cable. Since it's not serving DHCP you'll need to set a static IP on your computer, something like 192.168.0.202 with the same subnet mask you used for the bridge. If none of this makes sense you can do a "factory reset" on the device and start from scratch, this may be best since you've done a bunch of things to troubleshoot and you may not be sure exactly where you're at.

This stuff isn't too complicated, just frustrating since you can't see exactly what's going on. You will figure it out eventually, just hopefully before you decided to rent the mini backhoe and start trenching.

Contact RadioLabs support for help with the factory reset, they should want to get you up and running....

John

No worries John. I don't mind the challenge!

The outdoor access point I installed on the shop yesterday is working almost as well as the bridge was working so I am covered while I sort this out.

BwwaaHaHaHa!

Success! Okay so after chatting with the tech guy again I got nowhere. He seemed disinterested in helping me make it work the way I wanted so I scrapped that bridge.

The only thing I could find available and in stock locally was a pair of tp-link CPR510s. I had some trouble with the first one setting it up as the access point. The web interface was buggy. It would not even work unless the browser was in incognito mode. Even then it was painfully slow with a lot of data errors. The one for the client side setup fine. On my first go, some of the settings didn't take on the AP unit, so when the client connected the connection wasn't stable and would disconnect every few seconds. At first it would not finish loading the GUI after the settings and IP change. I had to setup a different computer to log back in and when I did I found the distance was set to 27km instead of the 0.046km I had set it to. After correcting the settings it works perfect! The CPE 510 client connects to a switch in the office so no more wifi to my work computer.

Now I have an outdoor access point mounted to the shop exterior. The wireless network connection from the shop to my office and another outdoor access point at the front of the house that is connected via cable to the switch in the office. The wifi access points are all on the same network so as you move around the house/property the network roams to the strongest signal!

Mucho Contento!!!

Back