A36 hot rolled for tool holders?

How does Cold rolled 1018 compare?
1018 Cold roll in smaller sections has good decent yield strength to the material. 1040/45 would be even better. Wear and tear, it won't hold up as good as 41xx material will. Most of your Asian made tool holders are made from C20 which is about the same as 1018, but is case harden.
Dorian and Aloris I'm pretty sure they are A2 or 41xx and nitrided to 60-64 HRC with a case hardness if around 40-45 HRC.

By tool holder do you mean tool blocks held by a generic quick change tool post?

I've made tool holders from hot and cold rolled. They seam strong enough but they do wear over time and get marked up. For a hobbit environment they work fine.

Greg

During my apprenticeship, in a automotive factory, I was lead to believe that hot rolled steel was made for welding. cold rolled for machining, 41xx for tooling. 1018 will do for tooling, as above, but in a hobby situation, not where there is daily commercial use.

Maybe take a look at 1144 stressproof. It’s already about Rc17 hard. And fairly easy to machine. IMHO I think way better than say 1018 to work with. I use 1144 a lot in my hobby shop, holds up very well! I also use 12L14 a lot. My days of fighting the process of machining tough metals is over. 1144 & 12L14 works for me most of the time.

Thanks for the suggestions gentlemen. Now the question is where can I find these materials in 1.5x3" bar?

Google Speedy Metals. They are not inexpensive, probably average, but they have lots of variety both in size and material. I like their "Fire Sales" often get stuff really cheap. Often postage is greater than cost of goods.

I've not found 1144 in anything other than hex or round. I do really like the way it machines though.

Back