About to order a PM-1022v.. Anyone want to talk me down? LOL

Hello everyone. I recently joined this forum and this is my first post and may be I can post something useful since I got a PM1022V a few days ago (I am in the process of cleaning the machine.) I never used a lathe before and did a lot researching and decided on either Grizzly G0602 or PM1022V. I also looked into to PM1127 but decided against it because it was too heavy and too big for my small garage.

For me, the main advantage of PM1022 V over G0602 are:

-Power cross feed
-Variable speed DC motor
-Half nut is not used for powerfeed. There is a key cut into to the lead screw for driving a worm gear for both longitudinal and cross feed. From what I can tell, G0602 uses the half nut for both powerfeed and threading.

The main advantage of G0602 is that there is more threading option. PM1022V only has 18 imperial and 8 metric threading capability (although the spec indicates 21 imperial and 18 metric which are wrong).

Paul

The 10 and 11" units have change gears.

LOL: Matt thinks I'm crazy for not liking the 10" unit but, I really like lathes that have a separate feedrod and leadscrew. Once you get used to that, it's hard not to have it.

Ray

what the 3rd rod on the pm 12x36 for?

So you can trun the spindle on and off and reverse direction from the carriage?

Yes, that is how most of the larger import lathes are operated, mostly 12x & up. There is also a jog button on the headstock/faceplate.

My 1030v just arrived today. If you want my opinion the 1030v is huge. And the colors are awesome. Personally I think it is worth the wait. I haven't gotten it out of the crate yet but it is a lot bigger than I expected. And that isn't mentioning the stuff it comes with.

I got the QCTP with mine plus a live center and keyless chuck. The pics were taken a few minutes ago out in my garage. So I haven't had time to really look it over but I can tell you it is huge.

20151026_181142.jpg 20151026_181133.jpg

Out of the crate yet? Interested in your thoughts and impressions.

Back