Acer Supra-618AH II auto transverse increment 0.07-0.4”?

jeremysf

Registered
Registered
Hello!

I am thinking about buying an Acer Supra-618AH II surface grinder and one item jumped out at me from the spec sheet.

The automatic transverse increment range is 0.07”-0.4”.

Seventy thou increment seems pretty course for finish grinding, no?

It looks like that is the range for all their automatic surface grinders.

Thoughts?

It sounds like a lot but isn't . I know you can dial the Micromasters in far below that . But ! You don't have to use the auto transverse if you need less . Of course , then it wouldn't be fully automatic if you had to stand by it while running .

About half the wheel width is common for traverse on surface and cylindrical grinders.
That's too much imo. On a 6x18 you'll run a 1/2" wheel. .250" is way to much. .125" is about right. Most of the time I use a half turn of the handle which has a 5pitch thread.

I'm with Duane. I move over maybe .125" or less, but 0.07" is very small IMHO. I have gone over 0.250" or more, but only if I know that there are not any surprises waiting, meaning I have already done a number of passes and am taking a small vertical pass such as 0.0002".
For reference, I have a Bridgeport 815 SG which is all manual, running 14" x 1" wheels.

EDIT: Wait, it might be 12" wheels. Without walking out to the shop and looking I can't remember. Memory sucks.

About half the wheel width is common for traverse on surface and cylindrical grinders.
I have owned and run several grinders from a 16 X 72 Mattison with 2" wide wheels , a #2 B&S, and now a 618 B&S micromaster that takes 3/4" wide wheels, and have done a LOT of grinding in my 60 years in the trade; perhaps some less experienced operators may be a bit timid?

Back