Acer Supra-618AH II auto transverse increment 0.07-0.4”?

perhaps some less experienced operators may be a bit timid?
I would say that I fall in that category, although not really timid but rather unaware that it is acceptable to traverse that much in a single move.

.250" step over with a .500" wheel width on my Harig isn't going to happen.
I've never seen Steve Barton take more than half a turn which is .100" on his 6 x 18 grinder.

Thanks for the feedback all!

I reached out to Steve to ask his feedback on his Acer. I think in the end I’m probably going to get the manual rather than the automatic, mostly for cost reasons.

Steve mentioned that uses as fine an infeed as 0.04” for finishing passes, and also that he uses constant movement (ie a zig-zag) to help reduce any visual lines in the surface finish.

I definitely am not speaking for him here though, just my understanding of his feedback to me, presented somewhat out of context here.

I have owned and run several grinders from a 16 X 72 Mattison with 2" wide wheels , a #2 B&S, and now a 618 B&S micromaster that takes 3/4" wide wheels, and have done a LOT of grinding in my 60 years in the trade; perhaps some less experienced operators may be a bit timid?
I remember watching a video by Don Bailey of Suburban Tools.
He kind of said the same thing. Time is money, he was taking .005” depth passes at an aggressive traverse rate.
He was focusing on grinder hands in the industry. Trying to show how to grind fast.
Lots of different ideas on this subject for sure.
I am too timid for sure.
benmychree and I have 618 Micromasters.

I should add, my grinder has a one hp motor. I would think the more modern commercial grinders are more powerful.

Thanks for the feedback all!

I reached out to Steve to ask his feedback on his Acer. I think in the end I’m probably going to get the manual rather than the automatic, mostly for cost reasons.

Steve mentioned that uses as fine an infeed as 0.04” for finishing passes, and also that he uses constant movement (ie a zig-zag) to help reduce any visual lines in the surface finish.

I definitely am not speaking for him here though, just my understanding of his feedback to me, presented somewhat out of context here.
He uses constant movement, that’s interesting. Makes sense too.

I remember watching a video by Don Bailey of Suburban Tools.
He kind of said the same thing. Time is money, he was taking .005” depth passes at an aggressive traverse rate.
He was focusing on grinder hands in the industry. Trying to show how to grind fast.
Lots of different ideas on this subject for sure.
I am too timid for sure.
benmychree and I have 618 Micromasters.

I should add, my grinder has a one hp motor. I would think the more modern commercial grinders are more powerful.
With all due respect his traverse rate was not aggressive. He was feeding .100". Interestingly enough his finish passes were .200" but I wonder if he was trying to hurry for video sake.

Back