ACRA manual down feed?

Aukai

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
My LCM 50 quill/spindle manual down feed feels like it is binding/tight especially the first 1", and will not return on it's own. I thought it might be the power draw bar at the top, and took that off, no change. There is a chip shield that I can see from the front that might be contributing to this, but I don't know for sure. Can the rack pinion be taken out, or do I need to pull the head to look inside? I was hoping that it was just tight from being new, but after some use it has not improved.

The quill lock? I took that out yesterday, no change. Or something else?

The very bottom of the quill has a cap that's threaded on. Pull the quill down 2" and look on the backside for a screw that locks the cap in place. If it's too tight it deforms the quill enough to cause binding in the last inch of travel. Loosen it slightly but not so much that it extends beyond the quill.

I have done that too :)

I would check with Acra before you pull things apart. Mine did not come with a chip shield, it has always been smooth. There is also an oil cup for the quill, you might add some lubrication. It would be very unlikely that the quill would be binding in the head, might also be something to do with the down feed lever and/or engagement of the power/manual down feed.

I have been flooding the oil cups to see if something flushes out.

Bummer for sure.
As far as not returning fully mine doesn't either.
Wonder if it could be something other than the quill. Try making a full 360° with the down feed handle, see if it get tight.

It becomes looser after the first inch, but not easy, then tight going back in the last inch.

Back