Added ER-40 Collet Chuck to PM-1022V

Honestly, I'm not sure how much time I have into it. It was a fairly long build, mostly because I don't get a ton of time to mess around in the shop. I would guess around 40 hours of shop time, mostly because I spent way too long trying to find ways to hold things and plan ahead for the next operation. I attached a DXF of a little gasket I drew and laser cut for mine. It might come in handy even just as a template for the drilling for the cover. Though you might want to expand it a little. Mine had an extra page suggesting it might be needed. I thought mine would be ok, but I ended up breaking through on one screw hole. There are enough that it's not a big issue, but it's something to be aware of. I think I was about 0.050 off. lol. Owell.

Overall, it is a lot of fun to build and a useful machine for a home shop. I've used it on a few projects now and it's worked great.

I found a pic of it mounted to a board along with the motor and controller from the treadmill. I kept the flywheel from the treadmill and cut the blank pulley from MLA to match. I did that as the multi-V belts they use are able to handle a smaller drive pulley, so the reduction is higher. The motor is speced for 10,000 RPM, so I wanted to slow the filer down. Keeping the flywheel also keeps the fan that is designed into it. These motors tend to like to be cooled. I think the original belt was broken, I got this one from Amazon.

View attachment 406062
More great information. Yeah, I'm looking forward to some square metal holes. Thanks for the gasket drawing. It will be very useful.

You might also want to look at this:

I have this as well as the SuperFly that David linked to. I like both, but if I were to have just one I would take the Tri Fly. I often run it with just one cutter installed instead of all three. The SuperFly will cut a larger diameter on the face, but the Tri Fly will cut to a shoulder.

It's nice to have options!
I did order the Shrum Tri Fly today after chatting with the owner. Blondihacks used it with good success on a cast iron project so I'll give it a try. Thanks for the recommendation.

The tri-fly looks interesting. I have the superfly and love it. I'm probably the odd guy out but I love fly cutters. Have you put an indicator on the tips of each carbide insert on your tri-fly and checked them for consistency?
I haven’t done that, maybe I’ll check it out. Too many projects going now that the snow has melted and the grass is growing!

I finally got the die filer casting secured and made the first passes with the Tri-fly. Looking good so far (famous last words).

Attachments

• Tri-Fly and Die Filer.png
    Tri-Fly and Die Filer.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 86
Back