Adding Zero-Clearance to cast iron bandsaw table

NC Rick

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I was wondering about this, and considering countersinking some tiny fasteners in to hold it to the table. I have a small box of 4-40 x 3/8 allen flat-head screws which would fit nicely into the insert, and there is plenty of meat in the table under the pocket to drill+tap into. The machine is metric, so ideally maybe I'll wait and pick up an M2 or M3 equivalent just for ... religious purposes.
I go to the same church as you. :)

Papa Charlie

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Welcome to the forum.

Great job on improving your band saw I enjoyed your documentation of the process and the illustrations. I will have to keep that in mind. Very well done.

pontiac428

John Newman
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I wish my Enco band saw had a iron/steel table like yours. The later aluminum table is flexy and cheap, like overcooked ramen noodles.

NC Rick

Further peanut gallery comments: if I had it to do it again, I would not make my insert from aluminum. I'm using my saw this afternoon and looking at the insert, chips have become embedded on both sides and a rather difficult to remove. It is also "sticky" for parts to slide over it. This is my only experience so take it FWIW. I would maybe try Delrin or bronze? i will continue to roll with the aluminum, it's not bad but I think it could be better.

FliesLikeABRick

Registered
Registered
Further peanut gallery comments: if I had it to do it again, I would not make my insert from aluminum. I'm using my saw this afternoon and looking at the insert, chips have become embedded on both sides and a rather difficult to remove. It is also "sticky" for parts to slide over it. This is my only experience so take it FWIW. I would maybe try Delrin or bronze? i will continue to roll with the aluminum, it's not bad but I think it could be better.

If you are referring to my insert instead of just yours -- I'll clarify that mine is steel since I did not mention it elsewhere. No idea what alloy since it was a tiny off-cut I inherited in a box of junk, but some low-carbon steel that took a decent surface finish. Looking back on it, prototyping an insert out of aluminum just to confirm that I could file a decent radius... probably would have been a decent idea.

NC Rick

I'm sorry if my post seemed somehow critical to your solutions as my comment was only critical of my own inserts. I posted that personal thinking process just to share my own experience in case it proves useful to you or others. I think your choice of steel is better than my choice of aluminum. I have no idea how plastic would behave over time but I suspect steel or plastic would not share the problem of being sticky. I in fact feel like your choice of steel is likely the best option.

FliesLikeABRick

Registered
Registered
I'm sorry if my post seemed somehow critical to your solutions as my comment was only critical of my own inserts. I posted that personal thinking process just to share my own experience in case it proves useful to you or others. I think your choice of steel is better than my choice of aluminum. I have no idea how plastic would behave over time but I suspect steel or plastic would not share the problem of being sticky. I in fact feel like your choice of steel is likely the best option.
Hah no worries, just clarifying. Indeed I find myself surprised at how many products ship with plastic inserts, even in woodworking tools... I just don't see how it could hold up over time under anything less than perfect usage (no accidents and or nicks during blade changes, etc)

Boswell

Hobby Machinist since 2010
The first time my plastic insert in my Grizzly bandsaw disintegrated, I bought 3 or 4 replacements. I think I have 2 left now. When they go, I was planning to make one out of Delrin or Aluminum.

NC Rick

The first time my plastic insert in my Grizzly bandsaw disintegrated, I bought 3 or 4 replacements. I think I have 2 left now. When they go, I was planning to make one out of Delrin or Aluminum.
These are the ones I made for my Grizzly. I bagged the jig but I don't even remember what it's for. Locating pins and facing, I think.
3E68BB87-2E6B-4CF1-A1F2-EBF740BA8010.jpeg

It can take up to an hour for ads to appear on the page. See our code implementation guide for more details. If you already have Auto ad code on your pages there's no need to replace it with this code
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock