Adequate Hobbyist Drill Press?

That is an Arboga. They are outstanding, heavy duty drills. It likely has a low speed in the 80 or so rpm range.
With the power feed it is a true metal working machine.

PS, it is about 7' tall but definitely not taller than that.
The owner said it came out of Galena Mine Complex and when he was younger, he actually used to run it at the mine. Thinks it was made in the 1960's and is either German or Italian manufacture.
Gear head and the head moves up and down, power feed. He said the drill runs nice, smooth, and quiet.

I do not get the chuck, They are saving that for their mill, so I will have to get an MT 4 or adapter for my MT 3's

Last edited:
Congratulations! I think you will really enjoy it. I just love smooth running heavy machines that someone else paid retail for. I know it spoiled me with resent for HF-grade stuff. I think it will make you feel good every time you use it, which is a heck of a bonus for the legwork of locating, connecting with the seller, and hauling it home. Chinese machines just don't bring a smile to your face the same way. Good call!

Congratulations! I think you will really enjoy it. I just love smooth running heavy machines that someone else paid retail for. I know it spoiled me with resent for HF-grade stuff. I think it will make you feel good every time you use it, which is a heck of a bonus for the legwork of locating, connecting with the seller, and hauling it home. Chinese machines just don't bring a smile to your face the same way. Good call!
Thank You for talking me out of the HF,
Looking a bit closer, It is an AB Arboga Maskiner
Ah, So it is a Swedish machine..?

You'll like it !!! I have an Arboga radial arm one. Incredible machine. It probably has a two speed motor like mine. I run it with a VFD feeding the two speed switch. Just don't change speeds when its powering the motor and you'll be fine.

Greg

Patience and persistence for the win. I don’t even doubt for a minute that whatever it needs it will be worth it.

Please let me be the first to give you the much coveted

:you suck:

John

Yes.
Swedish built.
Looks like an E 830
The photo I posted a day or two ago is of an Arboga E 830 column that I cannibalized for my own drill press.
I'm happy for you.

I'm sure you're going to love the machine. I started using grade industrial equipment back in the mid 1980's and got spoiled quickly. They're built to work hard all day long for many years. They don't have to be upgraded or modified to perform their intended purpose. They're operator friendly, and should you eventually wear out a part it can be replaced rather than having to scrap the machine.

Personally, I find it frustrating trying to buy, use, and maintain hobby grade equipment. Over the years there have been times when I've needed a machine on short notice. A couple times I've had to purchase a piece that I would consider hobby grade. Every time it's been a disappointment. While they eventually did the job, it took the fun out of completing the project. It took more time, effort, and finagling than it was worth. As soon as an industrial grade machine was available the hobby grade machines went down the road.

I must admit this option isn't available to everyone. I happen to live in the rust belt where good used industrial equipment is available at less cost than new hobby grade tools. Most of my tools have been purchased from commercial shops upgrading to larger or more modern equipment, schools, or one-man shops where the owner is retiring. Some needed a good cleaning, others needed a few parts, but in every case the total cost was less than purchasing a new similar size hobby grade machine.

Well after your trials, I can’t blame you for going the route you did. But I wouldn’t consider this to be any sort of hobby machine. I’d not recommend it either as a hobby machine to a “newbie”. This machine will eat you, or portions of you without a stutter. Slippy belts are a noobs best friend I think.
Awesome machine though!

Well after your trials, I can’t blame you for going the route you did. But I wouldn’t consider this to be any sort of hobby machine. I’d not recommend it either as a hobby machine to a “newbie”. This machine will eat you, or portions of you without a stutter. Slippy belts are a noobs best friend I think.
Awesome machine though!
Who defines what a "hobby" or "newbie" machine is?
I am just a hobby machinist. Yet my lathe weighs 2 tons, my DP about 700 lbs, bandsaw 800, mill ~1000, welding bench bench about 1500, work bench about 600, large grinder ~200 lbs, small one about 80.
Or are you saying a guy can be less careful on small equipment?
All machines, both large and small can eat you. Dont make mistakes or get careless and you will be allright.

Last edited:
Back