Adjustable parallels - a quick question.

Parlo

Registered
Registered
I've just watched a video where the presenter states that when using adjustable parallels to measure a slot, they average the width dimension.
This does not seem right, I think that they measure the smallest dimension. I can't see how they can measure any larger than the smallest width.
Am I missing something? - please advise.

Cheers

Parlo.

You measure the slot in several places. If there is any difference in the measurements, you take an average. The adjustable parallel will almost always give you a true reading.

You measure the slot in several places. If there is any difference in the measurements, you take an average. The adjustable parallel will almost always give you a true reading.
Thanks for replying, I was referring to one measurement over the length of the slot with both opposing faces inside the entire length. I can't see a use for an average width.

Much of the time you don't need to. With one end in the space being measured, it's often possible to measure the other end in situ.

GsT
I’m always finding new uses for my adjustable parallels and I’ll add this to the list. I had them for quite a while before I saw a vid by Joe Pi using one to set something parallel to the lathe chuck face and then the light went on. Ever since then I use them all the time.

I've just watched a video where the presenter states that when using adjustable parallels to measure a slot, they average the width dimension.
This does not seem right, I think that they measure the smallest dimension. I can't see how they can measure any larger than the smallest width.
Am I missing something? - please advise.

Cheers

Parlo.
Without a link to the video, we can only guess what the author meant. Perhaps he meant average multiple readings?

Tom

After viewing the video, I agree with you. I don’t see how you get the average width of a tapered slot by using an adjustable parallel.

Tom

Back