Adjusted The Cross Slide Nuts, Wedge Type Adjustment-Learned Something

I have, I didn't know what software.
I'm afraid I am lacking in the creative arts.

Sometimes their a split nut like this. Idk if removing screw on the top of cross slide and spinning handle will allow the nut to be exposed or not? Here's a picture out of grizzly catalog

Mr. Cadillac. The Clausing version I have is a similar idea, they went around it quite a bit differently I learned the hard way, there is a proper adjustment procedure on all these lathes.
The double brass nut is a great idea but I agree with many that you do need to take it easy and dial in some backlash. Too tight would be a big mistake in the long run.
I did find this illustration that better explains the process on the Clausing Colchester 15 (1970) vintage.
It says to loosen the rear brass nut, slightly tighten the wedge (1/4 turn) tighten the rear nut and check for backlash.
I made the mistake of loosening bot nuts, lost my reference.
So I tightened the front nut, backed out the wedge and brought the cross slide toward me (bringing the nut into the front nut) i tightened the wedge until i felt a slight drag, tightened up the rear nut and found .009" in backlash.288720

I was referring to malmacs question but your reference may help as well. Getting the backlash to .009 is great I think mine has .020. Luckily I have a dro all that’s needed is for it to be accurate and repeatable.

Mr. Cadillac. The Clausing version I have is a similar idea, they went around it quite a bit differently I learned the hard way, there is a proper adjustment procedure on all these lathes.
The double brass nut is a great idea but I agree with many that you do need to take it easy and dial in some backlash. Too tight would be a big mistake in the long run.
I did find this illustration that better explains the process on the Clausing Colchester 15 (1970) vintage.
It says to loosen the rear brass nut, slightly tighten the wedge (1/4 turn) tighten the rear nut and check for backlash.
I made the mistake of loosening bot nuts, lost my reference.
So I tightened the front nut, backed out the wedge and brought the cross slide toward me (bringing the nut into the front nut) i tightened the wedge until i felt a slight drag, tightened up the rear nut and found .009" in backlash.View attachment 288720

Yes that makes sense - a picture is certainly worth a 1000 words. I will have to do some more homework.

The illustration is terrific - makes perfect sense.
Thank you for taking the time to find and post. Much appreciated.

Mal

Agreed. My machine isn't adjustable for screw/nut back lash. But now I know what "wedge type" means.

There are two sources of backlash in the cross feed and compound feed screw and nut systems. The second is backlash between the screw and the nut. The first is end float in the feed screw.

The end float should be adjusted first, with the feed nut run off the end of the screw if that's possible. Then run the nut back onto the screw and if adjustable, adjust it.

Ok, here is a pic of my cross slide not adjustment.
The center allen is for the wedge.288907

Ok, here is a pic of my cross slide not adjustment.
The center allen is for the wedge.View attachment 288907

That is very different to mine - but I can't see underneath, so I may have the same arrangement but with a slightly different fixing method. Afterall my lathe is probably a derivitive of yours.

Here is a pic of mine before it was shipped into the workshop. I had a short bed version made because I did not have room for the full length bed. So far I have not needed the longer bed, but I am sure there will come a time when it would be of use.

Thank you for posting the photos, it is all information that will be of assistance.

Mal288932

and below is some more Photoshop fun. We call the Lathe Wally because it is so much bigger than our previous lathe. Also the salesman we bought the lathe through was Wally - so it was all a bit of fun.288933

My Clausing Colchester 15 is a 1970.
Wally looks to be a 21st century Whale/Lathe.

Back