Adventures in 3D printing

Just downloading Fusion 360 now, I have a CNC mill project and can probably access some very good printers at work. Time to get started....

John

Additive vs. subtractive, anyone have tips?

I mentioned the dry box as I am sure not everyone would know about this.
Pierre

My soon to be dry box for filaments. Have find a home for the electron microscopy stubs/samples. From another life. :)

IMG_2528.JPG

I'm addicted to Jame's Clough42 channel. He's very good. I just bought the QIDI i-fast 3D printer based on his review/comments. Been waiting for him get a new 3D Printer.

View attachment 407722

A simple electronics tray in PLA for a Mesa 7i92M/7i76 combination for a 5-axis controller using LinuxCNC.
How do you like the iFast so far?

I have had great luck with Overture PETG on my Prusa printer. I've been through many rolls of it without issue. Right about $20/kg shipped direct from their website.

Very much :)
Any thoughts or feedback to share? Do you recommend it? What filaments are you using with it? I’m thinking of buying one. It’s always nice to hear from folks that have used it. Thank you!

Any thoughts or feedback to share? Do you recommend it? What filaments are you using with it? I’m thinking of buying one. It’s always nice to hear from folks that have used it. Thank you!

The i-fast is pricier than others but so far, works just fine with default slicer settings. I've tweaked them to print faster, layer height from 0.2 to 0.25, base speed from 75mm/s to 100mm/s. If it vanished overnight, I'd get another one the next day. For filaments, mostly PLA using the supplied 1kg red roll. Changing to CF/nylon once drybox to i-fast PTFE tubing comes in. Then I'll switch to the high-temp extruder.

The only real change I'd make is to make the front door removable. It's open for PLA and some others, closed for high-temp filaments. Tends to get in my way. But as I'll be moving to high-temp filaments, it will be a non-issue then.

I will say that this is my 1st 3D printer so still learning but I wanted a printer that works well out of the box and requires little modification to get usable parts. Not interested in printing tiny decorative items :) This 3D printer will be making parts/mounts type items. The large print bed is great to have too. And if James (Clough42) likes his, that stamp of approval goes a long way in deciding which 3D printer to get.

What extruder(s) are included with the iFast? Do you have a link to the filament box and PTFE tube you are using? I'm pretty close to buying one.

Back