Advice for Dove tail Milling First Time

I don't have a t/c grinder so if I need a corner relieved I just stone them back to .015 or so. Only to keep them from breaking.

Jim
I made an attachment to mount my Dremel tool (nut welded the end of a holder). Mount it in my BXA and grind the corners with the cutter mounted in the spindle of the lathe.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530A using Tapatalk

Thanks for the thread and all the posts guys! Would have never occurred to me to make one of these tool holders if I hadn't seen it. I made a dove tail cutter with an insert I already had and then finished my first tool holder today. I found it helpful to make the dove tail first on the back of a piece of scrap metal, tweak the dimensions based on the fit in my tool post, then make another with final dimensions to verify. Worked well, and have a nice tight fit- better than some of the cheapie ones I bought earlier. Now onto mass production mode- I always wished to have a holder for each tool!

Thanks for the thread and all the posts guys! Would have never occurred to me to make one of these tool holders if I hadn't seen it. I made a dove tail cutter with an insert I already had and then finished my first tool holder today. I found it helpful to make the dove tail first on the back of a piece of scrap metal, tweak the dimensions based on the fit in my tool post, then make another with final dimensions to verify. Worked well, and have a nice tight fit- better than some of the cheapie ones I bought earlier. Now onto mass production mode- I always wished to have a holder for each tool!

LOL I'd do this too, but no room in the shop!

Were you supposed to check the drawing for errors? The thread and pitch was correct as much as I could see, but the 3/8-24 2-A was entered UNC.

Last edited:
Let's not nit pick his drawing too much, he's learning.

Along with the UNC instead of UNF for fine threads. The class of fit for the thread is not correct. The 2-A should be "2B" for internal vee threads and "2A" for external vee threads.

Ken

Let's not nit pick his drawing too much, he's learning.
I got the distinct impression the drawing was from the school lesson plan and their instruction, along with the possibility someone would see 3/8 and UNC, then drill and tap them all the same. I did look at the print before commenting and the designer's initials didn't match, which were RCS and the print was dated 11/07/07.

Were you supposed to check the drawing for errors? The thread and pitch was correct as much as I could see, but the 3/8-24 2-A was entered UNC.
This is just from the Instructor changing it every year. He makes small changes so the 2nd years just don't give us their projects they already did....so a few things were a bit off.

He makes small changes so the 2nd years just don't give us their projects they already did....so a few things were a bit off.
I understand why he would make changes, but are you saying he makes intentional errors on the print as part of your exam? Are you required to check the print for accuracy?

Back