Advice on disassembling mill

Maplehead

Registered
Registered
Hi All
So I have a break in my major house renovations going on so tomorrow I am going to start disassembling my new Grizzly G0678 mill, so as to get it out of the driveway and into the basement. I am looking to start with the table. Anybody know how to remove it from the mill?
The handles are off and the right side looking like there's a couple retaining screws inside a cavity that might be keeping the X axis lead screw in place. Should I remove them? Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

I don't have that mill, and it has been awhile since I removed a table, but I think most can just be run off the end of the lead screw. When you can still turn the handle but the table doesn't move anymore you should be able to slide it the rest of the way off the end of the ways. Long way (X) not short (Y). You might need to loosen the gibs. The table is probably heavier than it looks, so have a good grip on it sliding it off.

I would be tempted to disassemble it from the top down. The head first, then the table.

I have a small mill, PM25. I removed the head from the table. Then my neighbor and I could move first the head and then the table. It worked out fine. I was concerned about getting crap in the screws of the table, so I didn't want to take the table apart.

Go on to Grizzly’s site and print off copies of the parts diagrams. You will need metric Allen wrenches, a flat blade screw driver, snap ring pliers. I did mine taking off the right side assemble. Move the table to the left, now remove the round collar on the right side, there are two snap rings in front of the bearing, remove them. Now go to the left side unscrew they white lead screw bracket, install the key way and one the the handles turnout the lead screw. Remove the right side lead screw bracket. Now take out the gib adjustment screws, then push out the gib. Mark the gib so you know it’s for the table! I set up saw horses topped with heavy boards. I lowered the knee to the same height and slid the table on the saw horses. Hope this helps/

Not sure on your Grizzly, but isn't it just 4 bolts to remove the head, vs what is described above? If it was me (and it was once) I'd just remove the 4 bolts and move it. Your call, though. You have to do what makes sense for you.

WobblyHand,
I may have misunderstood DerFatDutchman's post, but it seemed he was describing the removal of the table, rather than the head.

The Y screw is easier remove the retaining screws, put a handle on the end turn the screw out. Remove the gib screws, push the gib out. Again label the gib ( 1 gallon zip lock bags) Now you can take off the saddle. With the knee you have some options, take it apart to free the lead screw from the gearing. Or remove cap screws that hold nut from the base. I took removed the nut from the base. If you do this you will chip the paint in this area. Take out the gib screws and push out the gib. I then used my engine hoist to raise the knee clear til it cleared the base. It’s good to have help as the screw will be hanging down. Set this assembly upside down on an clean cloth to protect the ways.

Yes, DerFatDutchman was describing removing the table. I think removing the head would be a lot faster. That's what I did with my mill. Worked out fine. Four bolts, move some cables out of the way and pick up the head and go. Whatever way works.

His Grizzly mill is about 3x the weight of a PM25. My 8520 is a pinch smaller but similar design. I disassembled the head, seperated the motor, removed the table, and took the column off the base. I left the knee and coulumn together. I could hand carry everything except for the knee / column which took two people or an engine hoist to move.

Back