Advice on disassembling mill

Thanks all for the replies and advice. I'm starting with the table because I don't have the engine hoist yet. I'm picking up a used one at lunch time today. Derfatdutchman, thanks for the instructions. It sounds like you have a G0678. I'm not 100% clear on the instructions but I'll read them over a few times before moving on. Thanks again. BTW, one concern I have with disassembling everything is that one-shot oiler tubing. Will that become an issue?

Table removed. I took pics of every step so I'll post them later for future use owners.

I have a G0678 took it apart and carried it piece by piece down into my basement. The one shot oiler come off with no major problems. I forgot to say take lots of photos of the disassembly and label the pieces. If you don't have any, pick up two lifting straps, they are well worth the purchase.

I cannot get the saddle to come off. The gib is still in it but it won’t budge. All associated hardware has been removed. Is this just a matter of some careful brute force with a plastic dead blow hammer?

Attachments

• AA158D6E-71BF-4C73-BCF8-614CA58A61CB.jpeg
    AA158D6E-71BF-4C73-BCF8-614CA58A61CB.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 30
The nut for the Y axis screw need to be removed. Should be a cap screw on top of the saddle, remove it and the nut will drop free. Once its gone you can slide out the saddle.

Don't forget about the Y axis travel stop and the one shot oiler lines. I think I forgot the y axis stop when I took mine apart.

I think I’ll just leave the saddle on as it doesn’t want to budge. However, this is a lot more than I expected it to be. I did manage to get the head off and store it in the barn as rain is expected tomorrow. I have to figure out how to build some kind of carrying sled or something for the head. The body? Who the heck knows. It’s going to be difficult to say the least.

Attachments

• 3FF38E3F-3BD5-453C-9ABF-DE56B3AD7936.jpeg
    3FF38E3F-3BD5-453C-9ABF-DE56B3AD7936.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 23
Just put it on a dolly with 4 caster wheels.
Cover the steps with 3/4 ply and use a winch or a car to lower it down the ramp. This worked fine to get my 1800 lb mill base into the basement. Whole Mill is 3400lbs. As you have it disassembled it should not weigh much more than 600 lbs. You may even be able to handle it on a good funiture dolly just like a fridge. Can you weigh the head and table to get an idea of whats left?

I made a sled for the head. I made wood collars that I screw on both sides of the column. I placed a block of wood under the quill, and strapped it fast with ratch straps making sure to go across the front of the casting with one.
49A6A62A-4A39-45DD-ABDA-D621A6EF1C4E.jpeg3708D1BE-DCCB-4A99-A375-3B31298C5662.jpeg9881495E-4F0D-4473-86DE-F5373114FAC9.jpeg

Back