Advice on lathe for home shop

any suggestions on which chinese DRO ? I looked and found an eBay seller who allegedly has scales that will work with this DRO for $170. I then looked at the hundreds of DRO’S available at that same price point. I’m sure some are more than adequate for my intended use and others are typical junk it’s hard to sort the wheat from the chaff.

Many of the guys on here have bought --->>from this seller with very good results<---.
I would pick the DRO with an LCD screen. Much easier to read.
A lot of folks recommend DRO Pros on here. They have personalized service to help you out, but you pay for it. Most of their DRO's are sourced from the same Taiwan factories as Ali Express and eBay. Speaking of eBay, there are a lot of choices but I cannot recommend one.

The inop DRO would be the last thing to stop me from buying a good used lathe. DRO's are easily replaced as Dabbler pointed out. You will need to determine the length required and how to mount it, both of which are usually straight forward. Many guys on here will help if you ask.

that's who I just bought a DRO from, the YH800 LCD version with 5um long slide and 1um cross slide. Came to $225 shipped and got here in a couple of weeks. Haven't had a chance to install it yet, but so far I'm impressed with the customer service. Only word of caution - the slide dimensions you give them are the TRAVEL. So the max travel you get for that price is 1000mm (40" give or take). I gave them total slide length and that got a bit lost in the messaging, so I'll need to shorten the cross slide. Nice thing is that if I screw it up they'll send me a new one free of charge, which is reassuring as I've never shortened a glass scale before!

@mattthemuppet2 I'm curious as to which one you bought... Is it too much trouble for a link, please? sometime in 2021 I'll be buying one for a small mill, and I'm comparing to Banggood ones.

for sure, it was this one
plus $18 for the 1um cross slide. I got that one as a slim slide too, but that didn't cost extra

You can search for the 3 axis ones, I think they're around $240-250. Assuming I don't have any problems with this one (haven't even had time to switch it on yet!) that's what I'll be getting for my 6x26 mill once I've finished the lathe and a few mill mods.

I've heard good things about TPAC Tools here on the forum. Just ordered this one ... should be here soon:
They've been out of stock for a while, but have them now. The seller is very good about responding to emails.

Please keep the info about which budget DRO’s are well reviewed, there’s so many out there it’s nice to have an idea of which ones are worth a look.

I've heard good things about TPAC Tools here on the forum. Just ordered this one ... should be here soon:
They've been out of stock for a while, but have them now. The seller is very good about responding to emails.
I wish that guy had the "new" LCD head units.

This is the one I bought. I am fairly certain that they are the original manufacturer of this unit since they are willing to do anything custom on it. Other seller could not.

My experience has been very good. Here is a thread where people discussed import DROs. See my post #7 for specifics about AliExpress.

I just got back from checking out the Cincinnati lathe. It’s not as big as the pictures make it appear. It’s certainly bigger than I need but I could live with the space it would take up. It’s in generally well maintained condition. All the speeds and feeds work , runs quietly in all the speeds ,it shifts fine, all the feeds engage well, carriage and cross feed and threading all function as they should. I looked at what it would take to switch it to work on 230 volts and it would be a piece of cake, maybe 15 minutes work, the electric cabinet is in spotless original condition. There’s an original schematic in a pocket in the door that looks brand new for reference. It has a newal Topaz DRO that works fine, there was a coolant pump at one time that is gone, it has a 10” 4 jaw , no chuck key, a jacobs chuck in the tail stock, a aloris style wedge type tool post and nothing else. The serial number puts it as a 1958 machine. he ways look ok, there’s a very slight wear at the headstock end but nothing outrageous given the age of this machine. What really gives me concern is the backlash on the cross feed and the compound. Looking at the micrometer dials the cross feed has .150 of backlash and the compound has .280 of backlash. The compound is set up so that a full turn is .300 so it’s almost a full turn of nothing before the tool post starts to move, the cross feed is not as bad but still pretty sloppy. I really want to like this lathe but I’m concerned that with that much wear in the feeds it won’t be long until the nut is completely gone and the lathe is useless until a used nut is found . Am I reading too much into this? The guy I met with was telling me that they are moving into a new facility, and are getting out of the metal fabrication side of their business , he also mentioned they kept other lathes and moved them to the new location. This tells me they know it’s worn out and are looking to send it down the road. I’d love to hear what folks think, right now I’m ready to pass on this one, it’s a great machine but I’m feeling it’s pretty well used up.

Back