Aifsoft: Muzzle Brake

PurpLev

Active User
Registered
A test design for a muzzle brake for airsoft rifles out of 6061 alum. working on this one was a good lesson, and game me a good idea of the order of machining it for the next iterations in order to get a better grip during machining in each step as well as cleaner cuts. overall I'm pretty happy with how this one came out. I just need to figure out how to dye it properly in black as so far my anodizing attempts weren't pleasing in regards to the dye process:

IMG_20130322_213936.jpg

IMG_20130322_213936.jpg

So, what was the change to get it working right? Also, what kind of power supply you using? I got the chemicals a while back and have been off on other projects. Haven't even used my cheapie powder coating gun either. I figured I needed to have something complete before worrying about finishes.

David, my first attempt was using all sorts of things that I simply had at hand. not sure if the mix of all of those just didn't work well (enough), but I ended up getting a battery charger from HF that happens to be on sale right now, and in the latest attempt also added more dye into the dying solution to make it more potent.

I just posted my process here if you are interested:
http://www.hobby-machinist.com/showthread.php/14567-And-now-My-latest-anodizing

That's a good looking muzzle break. Is it threaded or are you utilizing set screws to attach it? An outer barrel on my M4 project actually has 1/2-28 threads which is pretty cool if one was to use an actual muzzle break.

That's a good looking muzzle break. readm;112495]That's a good looking muzzle break. t? An outer barrel on my M4 project actually has 1/2-28 threads which is pretty cool if one was to use an actual muzzle break.

Most airsoft outer barrels are threaded 14mm-1 some left handed and some like this one right handed.

Why do you need a muzzle brake for an airsoft gun?

Why do you need a muzzle brake for an airsoft gun?

need? no need...

mostly for replica simulation (looks) and in my case, more so for building experience and milling procedures working on custom parts of this nature.

GW, in my case and as I suspect in others, making unique parts for the airsoft rifles is a way to showcase our machining efforts and open the minds of kids to the possibilities of what they can create. I sometimes get requests from my son's friends to machine or modify parts. Sometimes I invite them to the shop and show them how to make their own parts under supervision. They usually enjoy the experience and hopefully some will consider pursuing a career in machining.
As far as the effectiveness of a muzzle brake on an airsoft rifle goes, it was best explained by PurpLev. I'm in the middle of making a faux suppressor that for some reason makes my airsoft rifle louder...

Back