Air Rifles and the Law

JPigg55

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Maybe someone can help me out here.
I found this youtube video about the Girandoni air rifle: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pqFyKh-rUI
I've been interested in air guns for a little while and am considering eventually getting into air smithing.
Problem is the only schooling available seems to be with manufacturers when you go to work for them (not an option in my case).
Another issue for me is I want to go at this legally. Most states and the Fed do not consider air guns as firearms and have no restrictions or permits required that I'm aware of, but my state (Illinois) considers anything the fires a projectile in excess of 700 fps as a firearm. Normally a FOID card (firearm owners ID card) is all that is required here for possession/ownership, but not sure about air smithing with all the shipping, receiving, etc. that may go with it.
Would love to eventually make a Girandoni style air rifle and if successful maybe sell them. There seems to be a lot of interest from people wanting one, but no manufacturer is currently willing to tool up to produce them (I found a petition going around trying to show enough interest to get some manufacturer to build them).
Research showed that only 4 reproductions were made by a master gunsmith who was commissioned by Mr Beeman of Beeman air guns.
Probably wishful thinking on my part, but wouldn't want to do anything illegal if I tried.
Anyone have any recommendations ???

here's a list of restrictions
http://www.pyramydair.com/shipping-restrictions;jsessionid=3E03A94539C4D49614E090DF07B5DA54.app03

the only other gotcha i am aware of are suppressors. they are pefectly legal for air guns, but cannot be modified to work in firearms, so no 1/2 28 threads, or other common gun threads. most ones i see are fine threads.

a good source of general air gun info is yellowforum.com

I'm also entering air airgun tuning / modification business, along with milsurp gun smithing.

Last edited:
i can;t speak for the laws but the fps they mention in the you tubes is under 600. maybe 570 or so. aside from that, i would really like to see a diagram or parts breakdown of they system, as i wonder how or what they could have used to seal or captivate that kind of air pressure. seems they did but ? ? ? very interesting weapon. . .

Not the answer to your question, but check out airgunartisans, I have built a couple of really nice airguns. These things are a blast of air! Literally. To your question, sounds like to satisfy Illinois you might need an FFL.

One of my many part-time jobs through college was working many years as a gun shop manager...

Best source of information is first the ATF. http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/firearms-technology.html
Then go to your State web site and find the fine-print.

BTW: Anything with a rifled barrel is automatically a firearm regardless of projectile velocity or method of propulsion.

Ray

EDIT: Added comment about propulsion.

Thanks for all the replies.
Moving out of Illinois ??? Would love to. Hoping to move way south after retirement in 5 years or so.
Was surprised to find out that anything with rifling was considered a firearm. What I saw @ BATF seemed to imply air guns were not.
Here's another site with a few more details on the Girandoni air rifle: http://www.beemans.net/Austrian airguns.htm

I have been into airguns for many years now and have used them exclusively for pest control. They are an excellent alternative to rimfire and with the reduced risk of ricochet and damage to structures, they play a role in "close quarters" pest control.

Air rifles are a very niche market. They have the quirky factor that attracts people, but are generally more maintenance intensive than regular firearms. When you are talking PCPs (pre-charged pneumatic) air rifles, they are very loud but usually have a fraction of the power of a powderburner. This is often seen as a compromise since nowadays people can have a semi-auto rimfire or centerfire that produces greater power and allows for rapid follow up shots. This is usually fixed with a moderator however when talking silencers for airguns, it's a completely different case compared to powder burners. Since you are going from a high pressure state to low pressure, the air is already cold therefore normal silencers are quite innefective. You need to incorporate noise cancellation waves and interference in silencer design.

I have built many air rifle silencers and am good friends with a very talented gunsmith here in Norway who manufactures all his parts from scratch. It's an all consuming hobby with little prospect in today's firearm culture. If your going to do it, do it because it's fun, not because you intend to make money from it.

Just my 2c.

Paul.

BTW: Anything with a rifled barrel is automatically a firearm regardless of projectile velocity or method of propulsion.

Source? I don't believe that is accurate, except possibly some specific state law.
Airguns and muzzleloaders are not counted as firearms for most legal definitions.
For example, you can ship an airgun or muzzleloader anywhere in the US without FFL involvement.

ETA: Ah, Maryland, probably a state law.

As a resident of Illinois I can tell you how screwed up our firearms laws are. We must have FOID card to buy and posess any firearm, powder(black or smokeless), bullets or ammo. We can order ammo and powder from out of state and have it shipped to us as long as the seller has a copy of our FOID card but can't order from a seller in Illinois and have it shipped. Muzzleloaders are firearms here. You cannot carry a firearm or bow by any means of transportation without it being cased and unloaded. Means of transportations includes atv, bicycle, horse, golf cart and vehicles even on your own property. We are the only state without a concealed carry law. Air rifles larger than .18 caliber are firearms regardless of fps. I could go on but I think you get the idea of how messed up it it is here.

Last edited:
Back