Air Rifles and the Law

With apologies to Mac Davis

Happiness is Illinois in your rearview mirror.

Indeed.. I live in Oak Ridge, I live 10 minutes from a 1000 yard range that I can use just about anytime I want too.. I am actually thinking about making suppressors as a side line, since Tennessee is a Suppressor and Manufacturing friendly state.. Here in this state, as long as it don't cross the border, you can build what you want too.. except for Class III weapons.. suppressors are not a weapon.. Tennesse passed that law to stick a finger in the gooberments eye..

Air rifles spring guns ect. are not considered firearms in Va. either. Technically paintball guns are because they are over 50 cal but that is a another story. Va. even just passed a law this past June that prohibits localities from adopting laws and ordinances prohibiting responsible use of air rifles in their cities and counties. Really the only thing that will get you on the wrong side of the law is shooting something you shouldn't have (not responsible) or brandishing it.

As a resident of Illinois I can tell you how screwed up our firearms laws are. We must have FOID card to buy and posess any firearm, powder(black or smokeless), bullets or ammo. We can order ammo and powder from out of state and have it shipped to us as long as the seller has a copy of our FOID card but can't order from a seller in Illinois and have it shipped. Muzzleloaders are firearms here. You cannot carry a firearm or bow by any means of transportation without it being cased and unloaded. Means of transportations includes atv, bicycle, horse, golf cart and vehicles even on your own property. We are the only state without a concealed carry law. Air rifles larger than .18 caliber are firearms regardless of fps. I could go on but I think you get the idea of how messed up it it is here.

Amen to that, Illinois IS the most screwed up state when it comes to gun laws. Would be a close second to Washington DC if it were a state.
We do have one glimmer of hope. I recently read an article about a states attorney over in the Champaign/Urbana area. Guess he's ignoring the state and sending people off with a slap on the wrist if caught carrying a gun and doesn't confiscate them either as long as it is a normally law abiding citizen. Guess he's coming under a lot of pressure from state and other local officials, but getting a big thumbs up from the populace. Can't wait to see what comes out during the next election !!!

Yes I saw that on the local news tonight that the federal court has ordered IL to have a concealed carry law in place in 180 days. The best thing that can happen is the politicians let the deadline pass. If that happens any resident that can legally own a firearm could carry it. Even if they do come up with concealed carry law it won't change the way we can transport a firearm because that ban comes from the wildlife code which is completly seperate from the criminal code the court ruled on.

Being an American history nut., I have read some about early American air rifles. Go to your library and read about the arms Lewis and Clark carried. One of the air, yes, air rifles they used was a large caliber. A muzzle loader. I beleive a .40 or .45. Looked similar to a ky longrifle. Buttstick was hollow thin sheetmetal, maybe brass. Which was also the air tank. Pump was carried separately, resembled a hand tire pump.

There are about 11 states that do not have concealed carry permits. The ones that come to mind are CA, OR, IL, SC, NY, CT, MD, NJ & HI. There is one state NH I think that no permit is required. With a Utah and Az permit you can carry in 39 states. If it is lifted in IL more states will be required to have permits, but it is not a done deal yet as I will bet that someone could come up with a loop hole before it happens.
Paul

There are about 11 states that do not have concealed carry permits. The ones that come to mind are CA, OR, IL, SC, NY, CT, MD, NJ & HI. There is one state NH I think that no permit is required.
Paul

Accourding to Wikipedia, the only state left without some sort of concealed carry IS Illinois.
If you look at this .gif map on Wiki, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Rtc.gif, it show 3 or 4 states that now have unrestricted concealed carry.

Back