Air Rifles/pistols?

Something I have wondered, and I don't see how the law could be much different on them and firearms......can you (average Joe) put a silencer on an air gun? Might be a dumb question. Seems like it to me anyway. I'm not really as stupid as I sound. No one could be.

air guns are not firearms...silence away...

Last edited by a moderator:
My only experience in this area was with suppressed MP5s (training purposes only), and really liked the reduction in the overall noise level. Proficiency levels increased with pretty much everyone in the unit too. I too hope the Hearing Protection Act passes, even though my hearing is already pretty banged up, it would certainly benefit younger folks.

But it sounds like I could at least make one for the airgun. :)

Something I have wondered, and I don't see how the law could be much different on them and firearms......can you (average Joe) put a silencer on an air gun? Might be a dumb question. Seems like it to me anyway. I'm not really as stupid as I sound. No one could be.
There are many airguns available with suppressors already installed, though most are little more than an expansion chamber. But then, they don't need to be much more, either. There's not a lot to silence in the first place.

The main problem is more power usually causes a supersonic pellet, making suppression much less effective.
Because it's not on a firearm, it's not a 'silencer', so you can make one yourself without the paperwork. It can only go on an airgun and you'd want to permanently attach it, but you could do it.

Interestingly, in most places, antique black powder isn't considered a 'firearm', so if a guy wanted to, he could make a suppressed version, also.

Wrat

Just make sure any noise suppression device isn't readily transferable to firearms and you probably will be ok. Make it specific to your Airgun.

I don't know much about silencers, but I love my air guns! I have a small collection of Weihrauch (German) and Air Arms (British); both rifles and pistols. I bought some delrin with Enco was still open and hopefully I'll be doing some home tuning this winter.

Ted

Good evening
My Friend andre What material use for the Air Cylinder ?

Hmm I have a 40 year old 1377 laying around because it won't compress anymore. Lightbulb.

Back