Albrecht keyless chuck - what arbor size/type?

Jon K

Active User
Registered
Hi guys - I picked up a Porter Cable 15" floor standing drill press. It has an MT2 quill and currently using a JT3 chuck. Looking at Albrecht Keyless chucks and have a few options. I can get one with an integrated MT2 arbor but then I can't put it in anything else without worrying about an MT2 receiver or adapter, etc. Or, I can get the stainless steel precision series which require an arbor adapter. If I were to get one that requires an adapter what jacobs taper is best/ideal and is there any reason they offer so many? For instance, I can get JT2, JT6, or JT33. The drill chuck is the same size in all 3 taper sizes - why would I pick one over the other and, if I need to pick, which is most commonly used?

Or, should I just get one with an integral arbor adapter?

I have an Albrecht 1/2" chuck. I think it is more trouble than just spinning down a Jacobs and then using the key. Plus,you can''t go in reverse with that chuck. It will release the drill. If a Jacobs is a good used one,it'll spin down fast,and still run true. Sometimes,I just hold the collar and bump the speed to close the chuck if going from a large setting to a small one. then,just tighten. Get a used USA Jacobs,though. New ones are Chinese now.

Last edited:
Interesting George - that's the first time I've heard negative feedback on an albrecht keyless. Thanks for your input.

It's not that they aren't excellent chucks. I just keep reaching for my Jacobs. I feel they are easier to use.

No reason not to get the one piece. If it's that you worry about needing another chuck at some point and want to reuse the arbor, then either you use it enough to not worry about the minimal cost of the arbor, or you're doing something wrong. It won't stop you from using any other MT device in the quill, as you can just remove the chuck and put in whatever, like a taper shank drill. It's a pain to remove a properly assembled jt arbor/chuck. Especially if you don't have the removal wedges.

Just an observation, but your drill press doesn't go in reverse so I wouldn't worry about that.

Also you get used to what ever you're using and something else seems uncomfortable until you get used to it.

I use a keyed chuck on my lathe for larger drills only because I have to. I have a smaller 3/8" Albrecht I would rather use.
On my mill I use an Albrecht exclusively.

Now to your question. It really doesn't matter which type of JT you choose. Chances are that you're never going to remove it.
But you never know what the future brings so I wouldn't get a integrated shank. That would allow you to use the chuck on something else.

That's my opinion anyway.

Gary

Last edited:
I use a Bridgey for drilling,and obliviously don't want to reverse in any hand tightened chuck. I don't know,I just find the old style Jacobs handier. That's just me.

I use mostly Albrecht's on my mills and I have no issues with them. The only time I ever use reverse is when I power tap, and I don't power tap with the Albrecht's. Also most small drill presses don't even have a reverse.

I always go with the largest Jacobs taper that is available. This is more bearing area to prevent the chuck from spinning on the mount. Even tho the Albrecht is a bit slower to use, it is far more concentric than a Jacobs chuck. I completely agree that the new, made in China Jacobs chucks are total trash. I have a new 1/2 inch Jacobs Super Chuck that has more play and runout than my other Jacobs chuck in the same size that is 20 years old.

Albrecht makes a reverse lock Chuck also.

Back