Albrecht keyless chuck - what arbor size/type?

Hi guys - I picked up a Porter Cable 15" floor standing drill press. It has an MT2 quill and currently using a JT3 chuck. Looking at Albrecht Keyless chucks and have a few options. I can get one with an integrated MT2 arbor but then I can't put it in anything else without worrying about an MT2 receiver or adapter, etc. Or, I can get the stainless steel precision series which require an arbor adapter. If I were to get one that requires an adapter what jacobs taper is best/ideal and is there any reason they offer so many? For instance, I can get JT2, JT6, or JT33. The drill chuck is the same size in all 3 taper sizes - why would I pick one over the other and, if I need to pick, which is most commonly used?

Or, should I just get one with an integral arbor adapter?

Jon, I don't know if there is a correct answer to your question re which JT is best. I own chucks with a 2JT, 3JT and 33JT and all of them work just fine. My current Albrecht on my drill press has a 2MT/33JT and has been solid since the day I installed it. My choices were dictated by the JT of the chuck I happened to buy - I didn't choose it on purpose. What I did do is to install a new arbor on each chuck and just matched the JT I happened to have. For me, this is the key reason for not buying an integrated taper chuck - if something happens to the MT arbor of an integrated chuck you have to buy a new chuck.

I own 4 Albrecht chucks and two Rohm Supra chucks. I use Albrecht arbors on the Albrecht chucks but only because Albrecht promises to replace the arbor and chuck if it ever spins. On my Rohm and Jacobs Super Chuck, I use Jacobs arbors and they work just fine. I do NOT trust Chinese arbors to run true.

Back