All thread rod?

homebrewed

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I'm looking for some decent 4-40 all-thread. The stuff in the hardware stores isn't close to being straight and the threads seem pretty rough. The local hardware store only had 6" lengths and I only found one out of about 8 pieces that was even halfway straight.

I need about 10 inches. It doesn't have to be all that strong, I'm using it for fine adjustments of a centering gauge. It also doesn't need to be corrosion-resistant because it will only be used in my shop. Straightness and well-formed/cut threads are the main requirements.

Any suggestions on where to go for this kind of thing? I looked at McMaster-Carr's selection, and they have many options but there doesn't seem to be much information I can use to determine what would best meet my needs.

I'm looking for some decent 4-40 all-thread. The stuff in the hardware stores isn't close to being straight and the threads seem pretty rough. The local hardware store only had 6" lengths and I only found one out of about 8 pieces that was even halfway straight.

I need about 10 inches. It doesn't have to be all that strong, I'm using it for fine adjustments of a centering gauge. It also doesn't need to be corrosion-resistant because it will only be used in my shop. Straightness and well-formed/cut threads are the main requirements.

Any suggestions on where to go for this kind of thing? I looked at McMaster-Carr's selection, and they have many options but there doesn't seem to be much information I can use to determine what would best meet my needs.
I believe you can call McMaster with questions.

Or, throw up some links and your intended use and I’m sure folks will chime in.

John

The intended use is as part of a low profile centering tool, prompted by a different thread on this forum. This is what I have so far:

Centering.JPG
It's based on an inexpensive linear slider. The assembly on the right is for installing the tool on my mill and it also is part of the adjustment scheme. The square block is drilled/tapped 4-40. The stuff on the right side of the block is a compression spring, a square nut and an anti-rotation screw. They are there to produce a zero-backlash adjustment.

Not done yet: the assembly that will hold a DTI and accept the all-thread. I will use nuts and thrust bearings to capture the all-thread. All that will be attached to the slider. The assembly will have a kind of "C" shape so the DTI can be moved (via the all-thread) to dead center of the spindle rotation axis.

The tool is shown upside-down from its intended orientation. I've got a couple of 3mm screws there to measure the spacing between them. To move the DTI assembly I will install a knob on the right-hand end of the all-thread. Since that end will be held by a collet in the spindle, touching the knob should produce minimal to zero disturbance in the DTI reading.

The background is my shop notebook with various sketches and calculations for the thing.

Do you have Tacoma Screw or Fastenall out there?

====================================================

Check this out---

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1954901771...bIMI+skbq+HALUAQW4ZBp1eA==|tkp:Bk9SR-76xZzZYg

Regardless of what the various photos may show, getting straight small diameter all thread is difficult. In fact, I have received 5/16 threaded rod that had a definite bow. None of the sources I checked list any straightness tolerances called out, so I suggest that you ask before buying.

Your best bet may be to buy a longer length than required, take the straightest section out of the middle and roll it between two wide boards to get any remaining bow out of it.

Good luck

Try your local hobby shop, Du-bro makes 4-40 rod for the bigger RC airplanes on control surfaces. comes in 12" pieces. It is pretty good quality since it for controlling "toy" airplanes worth many thou$and$ of dollars.

I think McMaster is still your best bet, get the B7 grade or Stainless, those will be much better than hardware store crap, also their customer service is awesome, if it comes bent, the'll make it right.

Last edited:
Back