Aloris Axa Mount Bolt Size

dlane

Active User
Registered
Hello all , I got a AxA tool post thru a trade and it had a 1/2" mount stud , the hole is more like 9/16 ,
Should they have a 9/16 mount stud/bolt ?. I made a t nut just need to drill the hole and tap
I'm thinking 9/16-18 is that rite for AXA mount stud/bolt ?.
Thanks for the help
Derrick

The larger the better ! If you can get a 9/16 through it I'd do it. I'd also make sure it's the toughest bolt you can get. The dime store bolt won't do it. Go for a grade 5
dickr

For us hobby machinists, a piece of 1018 cold roll bar is plenty good in strength. It's strength is equavlent to a grade 5 bolt in that size. You won't find any 9/16" size bolts easily, it's pretty much non-standard. The way Aloris does it, is they make studs with a 9-16-18 UNC-3A thread on one end for the hex nut to go on and the other end that goes in the tee nut. That thread is a 9/16-18 UNC -5A interference fit thread. Just thread it for a tight fit in the tee nut, and if you like, use a little Loctite to secure the threads together.

My Aloris AXA uses a 9/16 18 stud with a flange nut on top. Not sure where to get the nut but you can get a bolt at places like fastenal. Not a item stocked at the local hardware store. I purchased a bolt and cut the head off and threaded that end for 18tpi.

Derrick,

If you need a 9/16 x 18 flange nut, PM me your address, I will send you one. When I converted the tool post on my 10x24 lathe I bought a package of flange nuts. These are quite large and hefty, they take 1 1/8 wrench.

nez

Thanks all, can't find 9/16-18 all thread here , I'm thinking 4" #8 bolt , head cut off pressed and welded into T nut .
Think that will work ?.

Derrick, you have some options. The tool post stud that came with my Aloris AXA had to be machined to fit my cross slide so I had to trim off the threaded section on the bottom. It cut just like 12L14 and I'm almost positive that that is what Aloris uses for this stud. It cuts like butter and is not even close to 1018. It should be an easy job to screw cut such a stud from almost any mild steel you prefer as the stud does not take a great deal of torque.

Another option is to not use the Aloris 9/16 thread - you can pop on down to the hardware store and buy a hardened flanged nut in something close, like 1/2-13 or 1/2-20 if you can find it. Then either screw cut it or buy a die for that thread. Cut down a post to 9/16 and turn the ends down to fit the 1/2-whatever but leave the part the post indexes or rotates on at 9/16" OD. Make a new T-nut, tap it and you're done.

Thanks all, can't find 9/16-18 all thread here , I'm thinking 4" #8 bolt , head cut off pressed and welded into T nut .
Think that will work ?.

Don't weld it!!! We are supposed to be Hobby Machinists, machine threads so some day you may want to put this on another lathe and have to modify the tee nut or stud to fit. Then you have to deal with a weld! I personally do not like welding on things like this. Welds like this have a tendency of breaking over time, I don't care what process is used.

For us hobby machinists, a piece of 1018 cold roll bar is plenty good in strength. It's strength is equavlent to a grade 5 bolt in that size. You won't find any 9/16" size bolts easily, it's pretty much non-standard. The way Aloris does it, is they make studs with a 9-16-18 UNC-3A thread on one end for the hex nut to go on and the other end that goes in the tee nut. That thread is a 9/16-18 UNC -5A interference fit thread. Just thread it for a tight fit in the tee nut, and if you like, use a little Loctite to secure the threads together.

Ken, this thread info is good to have. I figured Aloris used an interference fit for the base end as it was in there pretty good - now I know why. I need to make a top nut with handle someday and will keep this info for reference ... Thanks!

Derrick, you have some options. The tool post stud that came with my Aloris AXA had to be machined to fit my cross slide so I had to trim off the threaded section on the bottom. It cut just like 12L14 and I'm almost positive that that is what Aloris uses for this stud. It cuts like butter and is not even close to 1018. ..../QUOTE]

They don't use 12L14!!! I'll assure you of that.
The stud material cuts more like stressproof or 1144 material. It's tensile/yield strength is equivalent to a grade 5 to 8 bolt. Still way stronger than what is needed for the Hobby Machinists needs. It's machine-ability is that of 12L14, too.

For your needs, 12L14 is quite sufficient. In the industrial environment, I've seen people rip the entire tool post off of the compound on lathes before from not paying attention to what they are doing. It snapped off the stud at the tee nut and heavily damaged the tee slot on the compound, too. Pretty much destroyed the Aloris CA tool post and holder. And oh, knocked the headstock out of alignment, too! I'm guilty of ripping the adjusting screw off of a tool holder and destroying a threading tool I bought out of my own pocket one time many years ago. This was on a CA size tool post!

Back