Aloris Axa Mount Bolt Size

They don't use 12L14!!! I'll assure you of that.
The stud material cuts more like stressproof or 1144 material. It's tensile/yield strength is equivalent to a grade 5 to 8 bolt. Still way stronger than what is needed for the Hobby Machinists needs. It's machine-ability is that of 12L14, too.

For your needs, 12L14 is quite sufficient. In the industrial environment, I've seen people rip the entire tool post off of the compound on lathes before from not paying attention to what they are doing. It snapped off the stud at the tee nut and heavily damaged the tee slot on the compound, too. Pretty much destroyed the Aloris CA tool post and holder. And oh, knocked the headstock out of alignment, too! I'm guilty of ripping the adjusting screw off of a tool holder and destroying a threading tool I bought out of my own pocket one time many years ago. This was on a CA size tool post!

Maybe not, but it sure cut like it. I've used a lot of both 1144 and 12L14 over the years but you know what? It doesn't matter. As you and Bob are saying, this stud does not need to be a high tensile strength material. It doesn't require a lot of torque to solidly lock the tool post down and if it were me I would probably go with 12L14 or 1215 for this stud. I think thread fit is far more critical, which is why your thread info above was so useful.

You know, Aloris could have used 1215 for stud material for the smaller tool posts.....

I ended up with a grade 8 ,9/16-18 bolt , made t nut from hot rolled, I think it should work for what I'll be doing.
While all these metal formulas are coming up ,is there a good site that explains them and there machining ability and uses also how to identify them ?.
Thanks
Derrick

When i got my axa i was surprised i had a tap to match..lol

........While all these metal formulas are coming up ,is there a good site that explains them and there machining ability and uses also how to identify them ?.
Thanks
Derrick

Derrick,

Find you an old Jorgenson Steel Handbook. They are hard to find today, but if you can find one, it has all the information you would ever want to know about most steels used today. There are other steel supplier handbooks out there, too that are just as good. But the Jorgenson book tops them all.

Edit: Here's one I found that is very similar to the Jorgenson handbook.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Steel-HANDB...812?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cfd78b404

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Stan,

I just ordered one. Like I need another one..

One for the shop, one for the office!

Stan,
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One for the shop, one for the office!

Stan,
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yea, but, the problem is I have at least one copy of each edition ever published since the early 1960's. You kind of hate to throw them out when the salesman brings another one around every 5 to 10 years....

Back