Always wear your goggles.

Inferno

Registered
Registered
I'll be the first to admit that I didn't wear goggles most of my life working on things. Since I now have to wear glasses, I am always wearing goggles. I bought them with safety lenses.

Anyway, today I was drilling a 1/8" hole in 1" thick aluminum and I felt it bind a little. Naturally I raised the quill to clear chips. I did it a few times. As the bit started to break through the other side, as naturally, it bound a little. Normally no big deal but this time the bit shattered. About a half inch section came out of the middle of the bit and ricocheted off my mouth and onto my arm. Don't ask why but my lip didn't get cut but my arm has 3 nice little cuts that started bleeding a lot more than I think they should have. I do take blood thinners so that's part of it but the blood was dark red.
If something like that had hit my eye, it would be all over.
Now to get that broken bit out of the block of aluminum. It was just a pilot hole so I can do a lot of damage trying to get it out.

cuts.jpg

A very uncomfortable-looking tattoo I must say
Question: were you using any cutting fluid? Binding can be a real problem drilling dry with small bits
I like to use liquid wrench (some use wd40 or kerosene) added bonus it gives a smoother hole
-Mark
ps I just cut my thumb last night on some sharp chips that I had just told myself not to pull on- dummy

A very uncomfortable-looking tattoo I must say
Question: were you using any cutting fluid? Binding can be a real problem drilling dry
I like to use liquid wrench (some use wd40 or kerosene)
-Mark
ps I just cut my thumb last night on some sharp chips that I had just told myself not to pull on- dummy
I don't want to answer that question but, and I know better, no. I was cutting dry. I have cutting oil on the lathe table too.
I learned the hard way on chips too. Still end up pulling on them once in a while though. Moving razor blades are something stupid to grab.

I'll be the first to admit that I didn't wear goggles most of my life working on things.

Which is the reason that I have added permanent Plexy or lexan shields to all of my machines including grinders, drill presses, and milling machine. They can be swung out of the way to install tools or whatever but are always protecting while working. Easy to do/easy to save your eyes!

Aaron

About 20 years ago I was reassembling a 1911 (pistol), which requires a 3-handed operation where you depress the firing pin against spring pressure using a punch while sliding the firing pin stop into place. A normally easy operation that I'd done hundreds of times. That particular time though, the punch slipped off the firing pin and the firing pin was ejected - directly into my eye! I rubbed my eye and came away with blood... In the mirror I had the crisp impression of the rear of the firing pin, fortunately just in the 'white'. No permanent damage done, but that was sheer luck. I can be a slow learner, but I wear safety glasses wherever the possibility of injury, even slight, exists.

Glad things look like temporary discomfort for you, too.

GsT

good thing to be reminded not to let our guard down.
I’m glad it was drilled into me early and hard. I feel like I have a target on me whenever I’m in any work area without glasses.

i was watching my dim bulb BIL trying to get the HD spring on the hood hinge from a 57 Chevy PU back on. Very heavy spring and no way to really hold it. After watching him(he never wore glasses in the shop:( ) I decided to help him. We were just to get it on and he let hinge slip and the huge spring flew off an hit me square in the the right saftey glass and bounced off. We both stood there dumbstruck. If it had not hit me square in the lense and gone 1” hi or lo or I’d not been wearing those glasses it would have taken my eye out no problem and if it had hit my face I’m sure I’d have a scar. As it was it literally did no damage and I just continued on. We were both shocked as I was literally maybe 10” away from the hinge when it launched.

In a certain way I feel safer in my shop than I did at work because I don’t have hung over idiots around me but it’s easy to feel more lax. Never let your guard down indeed.

I went out and bought a fistful of shop safety glasses. I hang one on the power switch or controls of each machine in the shop.

Whether I'm wearing glasses or not, I have to pick them up to work on the machine.

I place them back on the machine when I'm done, ready to either be used or be a reminder next time I use the machine.....

Which is the reason that I have added permanent Plexy or lexan shields to all of my machines including grinders, drill presses, and milling machine. They can be swung out of the way to install tools or whatever but are always protecting while working. Easy to do/easy to save your eyes!

Aaron
Pictures OR........you know what I am going to say.

Actually I need some ideas please.

Back