Am I going to have to buy my bolts from china now?

jumps4

Global Moderator
Registered
I went to ace hardware to buy 4, 1/4-20x4" socket head bolts today, i thought she was charging me for a box of them!
$9.00 for 4 bolts
ok my rants over
steve

I but A LOT of bolts for my small business, I use www.boltdepot.com for them. They have fast shipping and everything is good quality (Made in Taiwan)

The bad news--------- everything has went through the roof. I ordered belts for my 2 x 48 belt sander-----they went up 40% in the last year. I was so happy that I called the company----- their responce was "have you priced cotton fiber" ??? The part of this that I don't get is if I raised my prices even 10% sales would stop.

Last edited:
Bolts seems to be something you walk out the door feeling raped. The purchase of a box of small qauntity is not cheap either. Ive found home depot has socket head cap screws, and sells them in small bags. Cap screws must be concidered odd in those places, and mark up the price big time.

I went to ace hardware to buy 4, 1/4-20x4" socket head bolts today, i thought she was charging me for a box of them!
$9.00 for 4 bolts
ok my rants over
steve

I am used to those prices. Not happy with them but used to them. It is very aggravating at first, and rubs against the thrift, frugalness and cheapidity of me.

I have 2 mom and pop hardware stores within walking distance (~1 mile), both of which are in opposite directions. I'll gladly pay 9$ for what I need today vice 22$ and $7.50 shipping for 50 of them. It helps keep them in business and isn't really such a bad deal.

I have 30yrs worth of stuff I have bought "so's I'll not ever have to buy them again". The crux of the problem for me is I spend 1/2 hour looking for what I know I have and then jump in the truck and drive to where I should be walking and buy the 4 I need anyway.:banghead:

My thing is that now if I need a few and they are not at hand. I don't even look I just go pay "mom" whatever it costs. If I need 30 pcs I just order them ahead of time. I consider it a perverted savings plan. One of these days, the stores will close and it will be cost effective for me to spend my time organizing what I have.

I am very thankful of the places that stock stuff just in case I (or you) need it!:thumbsup:

Steve

I'm stripping the bolts out of everything before i scrap it now
i stock metric and us but only up to 2" in new but
i wont throw used bolts away again
only problem is you never have enough that match each other
steve

$9.00 for 4 bolts
ok my rants over
steve

Most Ace Hardware bolts are from China.

Paul

Tractor Supply charges $1.99 per pounds for I think grade 2 nuts and bolts. Decent selection at the store where I shop. Probably Chinese.

Roy

thanks roy i forgot about them
they are not much further from me
steve

I'm stripping the bolts out of everything before i scrap it now
i stock metric and us but only up to 2" in new but
i wont throw used bolts away again
only problem is you never have enough that match each other
steve

That's what I do! I save usable hardware whenever I can.

My mother-in-law's botfriend used to be a Cadillac mechanic. He gave me boxes of SAE bolts, nuts and washers - like 75 pounds worth! I sorted 'em out into a big metal drawer cabinet thrown out from work. Amongst the neighbors I'm now known as the "hardware store" because I always have stuff on hand when I'm helping out.

John

Back