An 11" South Bend

ScrapMetal

Active User
Registered
Sorry about the pictures but they were taken where I am storing this lathe until I can get a work area set up for it. It's an 11" South Bend, catalog no. 411A and serial no. 84921. I really don't know anything more about it as I bought it from the widow of the previous owner.

And all the little "extras" I got with it...

Anybody know anything about these 11" SBs?

Thanks,

-Ron

Nice Lathe Ron and welcome to the forum.. looks to have included some nice extras.. 8)

Hey Dave.. I know what that strings for ;)

Re: An 11

chengdave2003 link=topic=1635.msg9775#msg9775 date=1302523287 said:
Hey Ron,

I don't know anything about the 11" specifically, but I imagine it's pretty similar to the South Bend Heavy 10.

You might want to take all the parts and accessories that came with the lathe and lay them and take a picture so we can see what you have. Maybe we can comment (Are you kidding me? OF COURSE WE'LL COMMENT!!!!).

Dave

Will do! I'll also see if I can get a better pic or two of the lathe.

;D I've had more comments about the string...

-Ron

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, pics that are a little more "organized". I have marked some of the major stuff that I know, or think I know what they are and left labels off of the obvious stuff like drill chucks and tool holders. There are also a couple of thinks I have no idea about, those are marked as well. I left the pics a little bigger so the details would be easier to pick out, might not even need my "readers". ;)

and some more lathe pics...

-Ron

The yellow thing in back of the lathe is a bicycle!

In the first picture, the three don't know/not sure items in sort of a column right of center look like parts of a project, not parts of the lathe. The cast iron piece with the threaded center, and the four holes (just above the dogs) looks like a backplate for a chuck.

Re: An 11

wawoodman link=topic=1635.msg10449#msg10449 date=1302818332 said:
The yellow thing in back of the lathe is a bicycle!

Now there's the kind of knowledge you can't get anywhere else! ;D

Those parts very well could be from some project. I thought it was possible that the other piece was a backplate kind of thing but wasn't sure.

Knudsen - The ways are as nice as they look. I was told the guy who owned this was a retired machinist and he took impeccable care of his stuff.

-Ron

Last edited by a moderator:
i bet you will find that the round piece with the threads on the end will match your spindle. ive seen where people have used those to mount the chuck within a chuck usually on larger lathes thou.

and the i dont know to the left is some kind of tool post.

nice find btw

Blame

Thanks Blame.

Yeah, that "don't know" on the left I'll have to take some better pics of. After taking that picture I discovered that the little wedge shaped piece directly below the steady rest is part of it or at least appears to be.

-Ron

Okay, here are a couple of close-ups of one of the mystery pieces. Some kind of tool holder? Why is it adjustable? Special purpose?

-Ron

i thought at first that it was a type of tool post for parting but not so much now

looks like a design to use multiple size tooling blanks 1/4" to 1/2"while supporting the front of the tool

i looked around on google but didnt find anything are there any other marking on it?

Blame

Back