An interesting small parts mandrel for the lathe......

Several years ago I was perusing eBay looking for some lathe mandrels and came upon the one shown in the attached photo. It's about 3" diameter. It was up for sale with a starting bid of $10. I was the only bidder. I'm pretty sure it must have cost the seller that much to ship it.

Ted

IMG_20191230_181822171.jpg

Pardon my inexperience, does that get run between centres with a faceplate and a dog?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pardon my inexperience, does that get run between centres with a faceplate and a dog?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, more specifically a drive plate. But these days it looks like no one really makes drive plates anymore so people just use faceplates.

In the vid he had the solid end clamped in the 3jaw and the other end in a live center.

Could certainly be used that way if it runs true but I would run it between centers. If it's a mandrel & made by zee Germans I'm sure it does run true. Brino could tell us if it has centers on both ends.

So I get how (in theory) how to make everything but the slots in the cones. Is that done like with a horizontal mill cutter then cut the taper and finish off grinding on a expanding arbor....inquiring minds want to know? Them German tool makers fascinate me.

Back