An Unwanted Project

Robo_Pi

Registered
Registered
I wanted to cut down a tree today to make into lumber, but my log-lifting tractor was broken. Boo boo.

A piece that holds a chain for the 3-point hitch had broken off.

Should be a simple fix right? It took 5 hours to fix it.

The first thing I did was take the pieces off as well as the unbroken piece on the right side to use as a pattern.

Then I had to find a piece of steel the right thickness. I found this old Jeep step:

It even has a hole already drilled in a usable place:

Drew the outline in chalk and headed over to the plasma cutter.

After cutting the part out and grinding it down some I drilled holes using the unbroken piece as a pattern

Finally, after drilling all the holes I was able to mount it back on the tractor and it fit perfectly.

5 hours to do this little tiny job. But now I can lift logs again. Yippee!

I would plan on re-visiting that assembly again, and beefing it up considerably, weather permitting. Maybe make one solid piece instead of two?
mark

I would plan on re-visiting that assembly again, and beefing it up considerably, weather permitting. Maybe make one solid piece instead of two?
mark

I'm hoping to restore this tractor. This is one of two antique tractors I have. The part in question was always two pieces. Once piece on each side. There is enough room to make a single piece that would basically be a ring and bolt on with all four bolts. But that wasn't the original design.

I was thinking about beefing it up too, but there are other weak links in the chains as well. These chains keep the load from moving too far side-to-side. Without these chains attachments (or a log I'm carrying) can swing over and hit the rear tire which could destroy a good tire. These tires are pretty nice, so I'd hate to see them get chewed up by equipment running into them.

When I lift a log with this 3-point hitch, these chains are not part of the lifting process. But they do keep the logs from swinging too far right and left when I'm bringing them in. I'm aware of the antique nature of the tractor, and so I take things as easy as I possibly can. This part had been broken before and I had previously "fixed" it superficially. I was actually using it with just one mounting bolt for quite some time before it finally broke off all together. It's actually nice that it didn't break off the actual mounting bolts.

But yeah, I sometimes carry logs far larger than I should be carrying with this little tractor. My biggest load would be a 9 foot oak log about 30" in diameter. When I have a log that big I take it real slow bringing it in. Pine, maple and cherry (the other three types of wood I have on my property) are typically much lighter than the oak and easier to deal with. This little tractor actually performs pretty darn well considering how old it is.

I'm hoping to restore this tractor. This is one of two antique tractors I have. The part in question was always two pieces. Once piece on each side. There is enough room to make a single piece that would basically be a ring and bolt on with all four bolts. But that wasn't the original design.

I was thinking about beefing it up too, but there are other weak links in the chains as well. These chains keep the load from moving too far side-to-side. Without these chains attachments (or a log I'm carrying) can swing over and hit the rear tire which could destroy a good tire. These tires are pretty nice, so I'd hate to see them get chewed up by equipment running into them.

When I lift a log with this 3-point hitch, these chains are not part of the lifting process. But they do keep the logs from swinging too far right and left when I'm bringing them in. I'm aware of the antique nature of the tractor, and so I take things as easy as I possibly can. This part had been broken before and I had previously "fixed" it superficially. I was actually using it with just one mounting bolt for quite some time before it finally broke off all together. It's actually nice that it didn't break off the actual mounting bolts.

But yeah, I sometimes carry logs far larger than I should be carrying with this little tractor. My biggest load would be a 9 foot oak log about 30" in diameter. When I have a log that big I take it real slow bringing it in. Pine, maple and cherry (the other three types of wood I have on my property) are typically much lighter than the oak and easier to deal with. This little tractor actually performs pretty darn well considering how old it is.

Ingenuity at work! Using what you got.
Looks like a Ford. Which one? Mine is a Golden Jubilee aka NAA. (Hence my handle Jubil) I've had this jewel for 20 yrs and have been in every part of it. (Just in case you need help restoring). Do you have the stabilizer bars for the 3 point system? I'm not an expert but I think the chains are just for when there is no implement on 3 point hitch. The stabilizer bars take the load off the chains. But maybe you know that already, if so just disregard.

Ingenuity at work! Using what you got.
Looks like a Ford. Which one? Mine is a Golden Jubilee aka NAA. (Hence my handle Jubil) I've had this jewel for 20 yrs and have been in every part of it. (Just in case you need help restoring).

I think mine is a Ford/Ferguson. I'm not sure of the exact history. I'm pretty sure when I buy parts I just look up Ferguson and it's a model TO-20. Not sure of the year either, I'm thinking 1949, but I can be sure of that. It's a 4 cyl gas engine. I have purchased some parts for it using the TO-20 model number and so far everything has fit. I'm not sure how long I've had this. At least 30 years, maybe more. And I've been using it pretty much daily.

Do you have the stabilizer bars for the 3 point system? I'm not an expert but I think the chains are just for when there is no implement on 3 point hitch. The stabilizer bars take the load off the chains. But maybe you know that already, if so just disregard.

No, I don't have stabilizer bars for it. I probably should have something because I know that things do seem to swing around more than they probably should be doing. The main thing I use it for is mowing with a brush hog. pulling a flat bed trailer, and lifting logs to bring into my sawmill. I don't like to drag the logs in the mud, It ruins the land, and gets mud all over the logs which is not good for the sawmill blade. So I pick the logs up and bring them in that way.

Let me see if I can find a photo with a log on the back,....

Here's one:

That's a typical size log. That one looks like it might be maple. I have a way that I chain them onto the lift arm and they ride behind the tractor pretty nice without swinging around too much. I use three chains. One attached to each end of the log, and a third chain you can't see in the photo. It runs from each end of the log to the center of the lift down low in front of the log. This keeps the log from twisting sideways. It's a pretty solid method. I can bring the logs right to the sawmill and just lower them right onto the mill.

But yeah, I probably should be using some kind of stabilizer arms. I'd need to fabricate my own at this point. I ran out of money about a half a century ago. :grin: So everything I do now has to be done for free.

Slick setup and nice fix. Need to build a boom for my tractor that works similar. I was wondering what the hammer in the picture was originally for. I have never seen one with that much curve in the face or as much flat in the middle where the eye for the handle is.

That's the way I remember Pennsylvania.
It's a beautiful state.
Nice save.

I was wondering what the hammer in the picture was originally for. I have never seen one with that much curve in the face or as much flat in the middle where the eye for the handle is.

I have no idea when or where I first obtained that hammer. I've had it for decades. I'm pretty sure I've replaced the handle somewhere along the way, maybe even more than once. The face you see in the photo is the round or "ball peen" side. The other face is flat. It's obviously not a regular shaped ball peen. I use this hammer all the time. It one of my most favorite hammers. I like the mass. I use it for driving 20 penny nails. :grin:

It's also my logging hammer. I use it for driving wedges in trees when felling them or cutting them into logs. It has a nice heft to if for that.

And just recently I've hung it next to my lathe. I actually like it for knocking the drawbars loose. Again, the heft is just right. I use it also to "tap" things gently if I need a find adjustment when mounting a workpiece. Although I really should have a soft hammer for that, like brass or something.

Anyway here are some close-ups if you're interested. There are no markings or writings on the head. I had painted it red at one time so I could easily see it in the woods. I too have never seen another hammer like it. It could be a one of a kind, possibly home made? I have no clue of its origins. I don't even remember how I came to own it. I've had it potentially from early childhood. I might have possibly gotten it from my grandfather. I did get some tools given to me when he died. Perhaps this hammer was among them. I just don't remember.

All I know is that it has become my favorite hammer over the years.

Side 1: No markings, not even a hint that there ever was a marking.

Side 2: Same story

Top view just for completeness. :grin:

Back