An Unwanted Project

Several years ago I had to make some "anti-sway" chains for a small tractor doing a too big job. Won't go into details about those days. I started with chains, then went to crossed chains. As in the right chain attached to the left side of the axle gear. And the left vice versa.

I was going to try that criss-cross method with these nylon straps. Unfortunately I couldn't find a way to hook them up without them hitting the PTO. I could do it, but I would need to make up some new brackets. It's actually working pretty good the way I'm currently doing it. Much better than it was with just chains alone. I hooked up a trailer today and the trailer is much more stable. And easier to back up with too. I can't believe I didn't do something like this years ago.

I actually did think of doing something about it, but it's one of those projects you keep putting off while doing other things. :grin:

I really need to start setting time aside for thing like tractor restoration, and model railroad building.

I actually did do some work toward building my own track for the garden railroad. I have a lot of parts already cut out. All I need to do is putt them together. I'm making my own track, and it's made from wood, including the rails. The trains will be battery operated and remote control. And I haven't modified the trains yet. So there's no rush to build the track when the trains aren't ready to run on it. And there's no rush to modify the trains when there's not track built yet. :grin:

So I'm in a closed-loop of not needing to do anything because other parts aren't ready yet. That's how my mind thinks.

Actually if I got off my lazy butt and built some track that would motivate me to convert the locomotives over to batter power. So I really should just get out there and build some darn tracks.

Ford 8N-C, 1951, here. Those are check chains. Prevents the lift arms from hitting the tires with no implement attached, as you surmised. With an implement mounted, you need a stabilizer bar. This bar will run from either the left or right lift pin on the implement to one of the pins mounted directly under the axle at the point the fender mounting bolts attach. Basically, it is a short piece of 3/8" angle with a short "lift pin" it it, and a flat bar from it to the implement. Various tractor supply houses have both the pins and the bars. The bars are very hard steel so they do not readily bend; mild steel won't work. A web site for your perusal - "Just8Ns.com". Everything you want to know about Ferguson, Ford, and pretty much any other tractor and implement. "Yesterdaystractors.com" is another informative web site. One bar is all that is needed. The lift arm, the implement pin, and the stabilizer bar all form a triangle to prevent sway. No tiedowns, or other make-shift rigs needed. zuhnc

Back