Anchorlube

Bamban

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
KVT gifted me a large tube of Anchorlube. It works real well, not as much smoke as the Mobilnet 766. Yesterday while turning a barrel I was careless when applying Anchorlube with the brush, a small portion spun out and landed on the backside v-way. I told myself to wipe it off when finished. Half an hour later when wiped it off, it left a stain on the metal.

Don't know what is reactive in that chemical compound, I was surprised on the end effect.

20200530_193120.jpg

What the heck. I always thought Anchor lube was non toxic & non staining. I see people putting a blob of it on the top of their vise or on the table & use a brush to apply it from there. First time I have heard of this.

I have a small jaw of it but I always forget to use it. I find it to be inconvenient because I don't like the thick consistency most of the time.

Thanks for sharing, that's good to know.

What the heck. I always though Anchor lube was non toxic & non staining. I see people putting a blob of it on the top of their vise or on the table & use a brush to apply it from there. First time I have heard of this.

I have a small jaw of it but I always forget to use it. I find it to be inconvenient because I don't like the thick consistency most of the time.

Thanks for sharing, that's good to know.

First time I've heard of it as well. I use it regularly with a brush and have slobbered a bit around from time to time. My machines are fairly old, but I've never seen a stain I could attribute to Anchorlube.

It might have to do with the metallurgy of the V-ways in the PM1440TV. I should have a picture while the Anchorlube was on the V-way.

How bad/deep is the stain? Like have you tried lightly going over it with scotchbrite or steel wool?

How bad/deep is the stain? Like have you tried lightly going over it with scotchbrite or steel wool?

I did not try to remove the stain with scotchbrite because the last time I used the extra fine scotchbrite when initially cleaning the lathe, it SCRATCHbrite the flat way.

I tried using WD40 on cotton rag, no joy.

Attachments

• 20200530_202610.jpg
    20200530_202610.jpg
    982.5 KB · Views: 20
Do you remember the thread when I mentioned that fhe V-ways are getting shiny on the 1st week of operation? Do you notice how the shiny line ends at removable gap? That means they are not exactly squared up to each other. Comparing it with my 80s built 1024, the V-ways on the little guy look good. Here are the pictures taken just now. No shiny line on the 1024.

20200530_203634.jpg20200530_203900.jpg

BTW, I just cleaned V-way on the 1024 with the same extra fine scotchbrite, no scratch.

20200530_204222.jpg

Before I left the garage I put some Anchorlube on the V-way. Will wait an hour and check out the result.

20200530_204345.jpg

Not sure if it's just an illusion of the pic but man that is one beefy looking leadscrew on your PM!

It is beefy, probably 24mm, and 4 TPI

Back