Anchorlube

I have heard that about anchor lube and also had it happen with Rapid Tap on my lathes (1340GT, ERL1340), I make it a point to clean them up as soon as I am done. The stains seem to penetrate the the cast iron, mine did not go away with cleaning and light Scotch Brite. There are a number of issues reported with these cutting fluids:

Well, it stained the V-way

20200530_222521.jpg

Scotchbrite removed some. I have to get the proper angle to show what remains. But, NO SCRATCHbrite mark.

20200530_222832.jpg

Last edited:
wow, i had no idea
i use the stuff all the time, i have not had staining- i wonder why.

I have 3 or 4 tubes of it, but have never used it,

It might have to do with the metallurgy of the V-ways in the PM1440TV. I should have a picture while the Anchorlube was on the V-way.
I noticed a similar issue with taps. I always thought that leaving tapping/cutting fluid on the taps would prevent rust but certain taps seem to darken with time. I never bothered to dig into the causes and identify the culprit lube. The taps seem to work fine even when stained.
I do not try to remove true stains on critical surfaces where no metal should be removed.

Last edited:
It's a stain, don't panic. Stains, dings and gouges are going to happen no matter how careful you are. Its part of the game. These tools are made to be used. If you want it to look pristine, wrap it in plastic and don't ever use it. Don't get me wrong take care of you equipment and it will serve you well.

It's a stain, don't panic. Stains, dings and gouges are going to happen no matter how careful you are. Its part of the game. These tools are made to be used. If you want it to look pristine, wrap it in plastic and don't ever use it. Don't get me wrong take care of you equipment and it will serve you well.

No one mentioned anything that resembles panic. In the original post, I said, surprised. I use my brand new PM1440TV quite a bit. Since I got it a couple of months ago, over a dozen barrels have been chambered with it.

Wish I had such a nice looking lathe....

IMHO, marks on machinery and tools are earned through their good service to us. They are badges of honor, not unlike medals that show their valor in battle:grin:

Cheers,

John

I’m losing faith in you guys, no one has said “that will buff right out”....................................

Back