Angle Grinder & cutting roundbar

The_Apprentice

Registered
Registered
Someone mentioned I could use an angle grinder in a previous post for a project I was working on. It then occurred to me I don't have one and could use one for many things. I also was going to buy a powered saw to cut through my stock of roundbar, as I'm getting tired of using the hacksaw, especially now that I am switching from aluminum to stainless steel.

I picked up a cheap Drill-Master grinder today, $10 due to a Harbor Freight sale... and some cut-off blades.

Now to be sure, there should be no issue in cutting into 304 SS roundbar at 0.5" diameter correct? I just want to confirm here with the old-timers who are experienced, as I don't trust ANYTHING on youtube. LOL.

I also have seen more than enough selfie pics at hospital emergency rooms with people having half a blade from these still lodged into their forhead or jaws. So I am a little extra cautious here.

angle grinder.jpg

I use a similar grinder with the thin cutting wheels for steel, stainless steel (316, 305 and 303) and Titanium up to 20mm without problems.
I use one of those cheap stands that the grinder bolts into to make a little "chop saw", I have a second with a 4" carbide tipped circular saw blade in it for Brass and Aluminium :D

Not to scare you off, it's done safely thousands of times a day.

but a few thoughts:

1) always wear your safety glasses and maybe _ALSO_ a full face shield to keep the sparks from bouncing in.

2) be sure you got the proper cut-off wheels for your tool. Some are flat some are "depressed centre".

3) leave the guard on the tool! You can loosen it to adjust it around the wheel for a convenient cut, but re-tighten it after adjustment.

4) know where your stream of sparks is going; no rags, cardboard, piles of sawdust, open flammables on the floor/bench

5) hold the tool steady and cut straight. If you twist/tilt the cut-off blade in the kerf/groove it can come apart. If you're getting tired take a break!

-brino

Last edited:
Put on your full face shield with safety glasses, “should keep blade outa your forehead “ hold stock in vice,
should be good to go

Reactions: Z2V
Alright, now I read some bad/conflicting items in the small print.

Page 5.
Operations such as polishing or cutting-off are not recommended to be prformed with this power tool. Operations for which the power tool was not designed may create a hazard and cause personal injury.

But yet, the #1 item sold WITH this grinder was in fact, cut-off wheels! Checked on site.

Furthermore, even when I went into the store today, the cut-off wheels were all stacked right beside this unit to be sold WITH the unit...

So Harbor Freight is risking people's safety to make a quick buck? Looking to get a lawsuit? Now I'm really confused....

That warning is probably to tell you that you will burn the tool up being it is a HF tool . A good 4' or 4.5" grinder will safely cut metal . As someone stated , wear some glasses and watch where your sparks are ending up . ( hopefully not into a parts washer ) !!!!!!!!

An angle grinder is probably one of the most dangerous tools in the shop. Most guys swing it around and use it with 1 hand, and that's an easy way to lose some body parts. If you clamp the part your cutting, and don't put the tool down until it's stopped turning you won't have any problems. If you bought the reinforced cut off wheels it will be OK, they won't explode on you. I personally don't use my angle grinder to cut off, I have a Snap-On air cut off grinder for that operation.

Well for a $10 item on a sale, I wasn't expecting European engineering or anything. But personal injury is the main concern, I don't care much if the unit dies, THAT can easily be replaced.

No where on the outside of the box did it state NOT to be used for parting. In fact, what it DOES say on both sides is this:

4.3 amp ball bearing mount motor delivers 10,000 RPM for fast stock removal

Alright, a stupid common amateur like me automatically assumes RPM & stock removal in the same context means cutting/sawing through something. Just me or sneaky/false advertising?

Alright, now I read some bad/conflicting items in the small print.

Page 5.
Operations such as polishing or cutting-off are not recommended to be prformed with this power tool. Operations for which the power tool was not designed may create a hazard and cause personal injury.

One of the joys of living in a society where everyone has been convinced that if they do something stupid or dangerous with a tool then it is the fault of the manufacturer for not telling them in advance what not to do and that they should therefore sue.
I'm surprised they don't advise against connecting it to dangerous mains voltages or turning it on ;-)

Your putting way too much into this. Read the directions, and wear your safety equipment and use your head when grinding and all will be well.

Back