Angle Grinder & cutting roundbar

I bought a Dewalt angle grinder for cutting up some cement pavers. I also bought an adjustable guard for it and that deflected the grinding residue away from me. Not sure I would want to cut anything with it without the guard as it sure does protect you from whatever is being ground away.

Go to 3M site and look at their Cubitron cutting disks. High priced but cut with out heat. Watched some video ads that show people cutting bolts and SS with not heat build up. I have 6 Bosch 4 1/2" grinder all plugged in sitting on my bench with different tools ready to go to work. Use the safety guards and face protection ALWAYS!!!!!!
DBQ49er

3m Cubritron is a great product in wheels, discs, grinding discs, flap discs, etc.. I have them all and are amazing.
I'm now using 3m Cubitron II, which is even better.

Doesn't cutting with a FR disc/angle grinder work harden the metal being cut?
I've always used a hack saw or the wet saw at work. Even a chop saw turns the ends of the round metal stock dark blue.
The box showing stock removal is probably referring to flap and grinding wheels. I never use my angle grinder for cutting off steel, unless it's a stuck/rusty bolt, exhaust section or soft metal.

The wheels will cut thru carbide and HSS like butter . They don't like the soft stuff .

Would you drive a car at that speed with the cheapest tires you could find.
I wouldn't, but that does bring back an amusing memory. I worked in a tire shop one particularly brutal winter. I was the only guy who made it to work in snow up to the twig and giggle berries. I put on tires, tires, tires. I had people coming in with 11/32" of tread wanting new tires, who couldn't be talked out of their foolishness. Man, I put on tires for three deep snows that winter.

When it was all over, this impressively gigantic guy who was close to 7' tall and looked to be carved of polished ebony came in and requested tires in a voice that would put James Earl Jones to shame. When I drove his truck into the bay, I discovered that he had been running around in three waist deep snows with tires that left bald in the dust a year earlier. There were wires hanging out everywhere, and there was nothing resembling tread left anywhere.

That man could drive!

The thinner blades always work better for me. Less heat build up, and faster cut. As said above, buy decent quality dics, you'll save money in the long run. Mike

Doesn't cutting with a FR disc/angle grinder work harden the metal being cut?

I think you may be onto something, and would explain something I ran into.

I tried to use my center drill in the lathe, and I just couldn't get the damn thing to bite into the SS after some minor facing. Tried to use cutting oil, etc.

I eventually swapped out for the smallest center-drill, and finally got that to work after some effort.

Back