Annular cutter on the lathe

I would suggest making a new one with a tang, because you don't want it to spin.
I do not like to drill from my cross slide and have never seen it in 30 years.
The forces from drilling using the cross slide are different from typical lathe cross slide work.
Can it be done? Absolutely machinist monitor and adjust cutting forces for tool life, cutting accuracy and finish.
It would be something in my tool box I can use when I decide I have no other choice.
Next time you run your lathe throw a couple dial indicators on your slide with the stylus on the ways make different operations and watch the affects.
There is very good reason the tailstock is on center with the spindle and has a quill.
It is typically locked in place on the ways before operations
Look at most lathe ways, the rear is generally flat and not designed to control twisting motion. It is just horizontal control.
That generally falls on the front Vee ways and that's were your increased surface area and shape control twisting.
Now if you are thinking but I am using the x slide and it is a dovetail slide, it can control those forces! Yes, A Dovetail slide is a rigid slide and it can control those twisting forces....by transferring the forces to the z slide.
Before you start arguing, just put some indicators on your machine and try different operations.
Agree on the tang. As for the issues of drilling from the tool post, you say "you have never seen it in 30 years.". Then you argue why it is bad. Using your own logic, go try it yourself first, because if you haven't seen it in 30 years you haven't tried it recently. Drilling from the toolpost is common practice from everything I've seen. Regardless, my shop, my tools, my money, so just no.

If you want to engage a discussion on the merits of this, please start your own thread.

Agree on the tang. As for the issues of drilling from the tool post, you say "you have never seen it in 30 years.". Then you argue why it is bad. Using your own logic, go try it yourself first, because if you haven't seen it in 30 years you haven't tried it recently. Drilling from the toolpost is common practice from everything I've seen. Regardless, my shop, my tools, my money, so just no.

If you want to engage a discussion on the merits of this, please start your own thread.
Sorry sir. I didn't mean to offend.
It's just that I have spent that last thirty years building new, rebuilding used and repairing machine tools, with 15 years of that field service.
My apologies.

Sorry sir. I didn't mean to offend.
It's just that I have spent that last thirty years building new, rebuilding used and repairing machine tools, with 15 years of that field service.
My apologies.
Thank you. My reply was harsh. You pointed out a potential issue. I enjoy using older machines and respect anyone with the skills to rebuild them, and I aspire to learn more on that front.

Back