Another auction buy..... A Do-all DH-612 surface grinder.

That was a good deal four in the front were worth that, I almost grab them myself but I've got enough for a while.

Todd

When I was in college, it was a technical college, there was probably 5 women out of 300 students. There was one hottie and everyone was hitting on her. She must have thought she was cleopatra! :)) In a way it's a good thing that there were no women in that school, I really learned a lot there and got good grades. I'm not sure that would have been the case with pooner distractions. :whistle:

I went to pick up the Vickers power pack this afternoon. It's big and heavy. It probably weighs as much as the darn SG! Paid $175 for it. It's full of nice clean hydraulic oil too.

Here it is in all it's​ Ugly magnificence!

20140112_195521_zpsap7xsakv.jpg

This thing came from the Colgate/palmolive aerosol production line. It's a beast.

I gotta go to Tractor supply and buy some fittings and a filter assembly for it tomorrow morning. I think I'm gonna put some quick couplers on it so that it can be used to power up other items. Maybe one day I'll build me a killer hydraulic press. :))

We had the accumulator tanks on our mold machines, they use them to hold a constant pressure with just one pump instead of the old four pumps. If you have not used one or are not familiar with them be careful they use 2500-3000# nitrogen on the back side for pressure.

Todd

Thanks for the warning. I didn't know that. :)

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the warning. I didn't know that. :)

Old age setting I forgot to tell you if you leave the tank on there look for a bleed off valve, that is how you relieve the pressure on the system to work on it. From the pdf's on this grinder I'd say you will not need it but if you do I just wanted you to be aware.

Todd

I think there's a valve on the very top of the tank.. I'll see if there's a way to check the pressure in it. Right now I'm only running at about 200 psi system pressure, which seems to be plenty to make the table move efficiently. I might bleed off the accumulator somewhere closer to that psi range.

I think there's a valve on the very top of the tank.. I'll see if there's a way to check the pressure in it. Right now I'm only running at about 200 psi system pressure, which seems to be plenty to make the table move efficiently. I might bleed off the accumulator somewhere closer to that psi range.

There should be a Shrader valve to check Nitrogen pressure( looks like a tire valve but handle 3000 psi don't use a bike valve stem could get you injured ) but there should be a valve in the pressure line that bleeds to the tank to relieve the high pressure from the system so it can be worked on. My Brown & Sharpe manual shows 110 psi to the table should be fine and I'm not sure but my hyd systems return line also is the lube line for my grinder. I hope this is of some help I've been there done that and don't like to see people hurt if we can help it.

http://www.hobby-machinist.com/vbdownloads.php?do=file&fileid=1776 This is my grinder manual if you'd like to look at any thing pg. 25 shows the hyd in the center is the lube port in light blue.
Todd

My lube system is seperate on mine with a seperate lube pump. I wish mine used the return line as the lube line. It would simplify the setup a little. I was talking to a friend of mine, that told me his grinder lubes the ways from the hydraulic system too.

My grinder doesn't have hydraulic cross feed either, just side to side. I may want to turn down my hydraulic pressure a little if yours is running on 110 psi. Someone else told me they ran at about 300 psi., but upon starting it up and playing with it a little, that seemed like too much psi. I'll fiddle with it, now that I have it up and running. The hydraulic power pack that I bought was not originally made for my grinder. I grabbed something used, cheap, and would work. :)) The down side is that I have to experiment a little to set it right.

Marcel,

Using hydraulic fluid to lubricate the ways is a rather poor idea. That's one of the things I hated about my B&S 618. Using proper way lube in a dedicated circuit is a far superior solution. Hydraulic fluid just doesn't have the right properties to lubricate sliding ways.
My B&S 13 Universal grinder uses a Trabon lube system to distribute way lube to where it needs to be and the ways on this 1968 machine are flawless. The ones on my significantly younger 618 were pretty worn.
Any grinder of any sort I get in the future will have either a Trabon or Bijur lube system and will not rely on hydraulic fluid for this task.

I like the Micromaster SG's and that's probably what I'm going to buy to replace my big DoALL but the ones equipped with a Trabon lube system go right to the top of the list.

Back