Another auction buy..... A Do-all DH-612 surface grinder.

The Harig was from a previous auction. I'm kinda glad that I didn;t get that one now, because i really wanted a hydraulic. I gotta go get some hydraulic fittings and stuff this morning. Fingers crossed, on the acu-rite setup. It's fun getting machinery setup!

Marcel

I bought this electro-magnetic chuck on ebay. The guy lives about 30 miles from me. Saved $65 on shipping. The chuck was $100.

[URL=http://s1124.photobucket.com/user/xalky99/media/Do-allebay_zps3fd365c3.jpg.html]
Do-allebay_zps3fd365c3.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/171112643850?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649[/URL]

I hooked up the hydraulics yesterday and got the table operating. I ended up not getting quick disconnects for it. They were too pricey for at the moment. The table functions very smoothly. There's no hydraulic leaks, which was one of my fears for this machine.

I also ordered a few grinding wheels and a diamond dresser.

I also ordered a magnet mount coolant mister to be used on this machine and also any other machine. It was a good deal on sale +20% off and free shipping at Enco. It ended up costing me $72 to my door!

0941312-23.jpg
If all goes as planned, I should have a fully functioning with bells and whistles surface grinder by next weekend.:))

Marcel

0941312-23.jpg

I had a minor set back on the surface grinder. The magnetic chuck that I bought turned out to be a dud, but luckily the guy that I brought it from on ebay let me know before I went to go pick it up on Saturday morning, he refunded me my money right away. He had posted it as working, but i guess that he plugged it in to make sure it works and found it to be dead. I'm still without a chuck. I was trying to find a way mount my 6 x 18 magnetic chuck, but I really couldn't come up with a good solid mounting. I was gonna make an adaptor plate but I would have needed a good solid 1" thick piece of cast iron about 22" long to mount everything and then there's the problem of grinding in a chuck thats 6" longer than the stroke of the grinder table. I just gave up on the whole idea and bought a fine pole 6 x 12 Chinese chuck on ebay.

On another note I recieved the DRO and hooked it up. It works well. Had to set the dip switches for the .0001" scales. It has way too many functions for the surface grinder. I wish it would work on the mitutoyo scales that I have on my mill. Because this thing can plot out points for circles etc....

I bought a few grinding wheels for it and mounted one up. It seems to be well balanced when it spun up. I don't have a wheel balancer or a way to balance them if they are off at this point.

That's the progress report for now.

Marcel

I finally got my new 6x12 fine pole magnetic chuck today!:ups:

I spent the evening getting it set up and ground it in. This machine is now ready for action.

350e1ec5-e608-474b-aab0-4cbc63aab5f7_zps4ba6824e.jpg

The things I had to obtain to get it how I wanted it.
* A hydraulic power pack.
* A new lubricator pump.
* A Kool Mist system.
* An Acu-Rite display to work with the scales that were already on it.
* A new pressure guage for the Hydraulic power pack.
* Misc. fittings for the hydraulics
* A few new grinding wheels
* A diamond dresser
* A pin wrench for the wheel adaptor.

I still want to dial in the hydraulics a bit better. Theres a couple of flow valves under the left side of the table that need to be adjusted to get the right stroke running about the same speed as the left stroke. Right now I got them both wide open. Theres also a bypass valve on the powerpack that I can crack open a bit to quiet down the pressure relief valve...I have to tweak that a bit. I might remove the ugly accumulator on the power pack too. I'm not sure if the accumulator is a good thing or a bad thing yet. I'll try it without it and see how it goes. I'm thinking that it smooths out any pressure surges, but who knows if it really makes a difference.

This is gonna be a good machine.:))

Marcel

There's one more thing you need... Some kind of a dust collector. Your shop (and lungs) will love you for it.

Ray

There's one more thing you need... Some kind of a dust collector. Your shop (and lungs) will love you for it.

Ray
Oh yeah...Forgot to put that on my to-do list, but was planning on it. It came with a crappy one,(not big enough) I removed it. I'm planning on making a new ,bigger, one that I can hook up to my vacuum. I'm gonna poke around online for some ideas.

Grind wet, it really keeps the dust down.
A good grade of grinding specific coolant will also improve your finishes and your accuracy as it keeps the work from expanding or warping due to heat.

The DoALL is looking pretty good right now but that ratty hydraulic pump needs to be hidden or beautified a bit!

Grind wet, it really keeps the dust down.
A good grade of grinding specific coolant will also improve your finishes and your accuracy as it keeps the work from expanding or warping due to heat.

The DoALL is looking pretty good right now but that ratty hydraulic pump needs to be hidden or beautified a bit!
I used the Kool mist solution with the mister, it worked really good and it didn't produce much dust at all, just a little bit of sludge in the bottom of the tray.
I won't take any more pictures of the hydraulic power pack...That'll be my way of hiding and beautifying it.:lmao: The rat works just fine. :rofl:

Keep an eye on eBay I bought about $2000 worth of grinding wheel for $1-3 a wheel. I needed adaptors to mount the wheels same thing eBay $5 each with a diamond wheel. I didn't see a spec for wheel size but I go form 1/8" x 7, 1" x 8 both with 1 1/4" bore and these fit both my grinders Reid 612 and Brown & Sharpe 618.

Todd

Back