Another “Can you identify this tool?” post.

Rata222

Registered
Registered
I went to an estate auction today and I picked up these two hand presses very cheap.
Does anyone know what they may be designed for?
The stroke is about 3/8”. Both the ram and the anvil have concave spherical ends. The anvil height can be adjusted up or down . I tend to believe they are for home use, since the base is made of nice wood and felt pad on the bottom. Also almost all of the tooling was for woodworking –if that provides any insight. The man must have collected over 200 wood planes.
Thanks - Jim

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

I went to an estate auction today and I picked up these two hand presses very cheap.
Does anyone know what they may be designed for?
The stroke is about 3/8”. Both the ram and the anvil have concave spherical ends. The anvil height can be adjusted up or down . I tend to believe they are for home use, since the base is made of nice wood and felt pad on the bottom. Also almost all of the tooling was for woodworking –if that provides any insight. The man must have collected over 200 wood planes.
Thanks - Jim

It just hit me. Maybe these are elaborate nut crackers????

It looks like they might actually be paper punches rather than presses-

Black crinkle finish always makes me think of my Dad's car dealership. All the big adding machines, legal company seals, etc were that. Really popular in the '50's and 60's, and good quality stuff. Can almost still smell the showroom full of Buicks....

Anyway, I thought of a pill press (for making pills or tablets) but I don't know, something not right about that. I guess I was thinking retired pharmacist or something with enough money to collect 200 wood planes and fiddle with making little bases in his shop. Knew a Doctor like that, or his wife rather after he died, who left a shop full of every imaginable woodworking tool almost brand new.

image.png

-frank

They look like a commercial product. The grey pieces look sort of like sine bars except for the angle between the surfaces. They seem like a strange way to adjust height.

It's possible that the presses wore cleaned up and mounted on a wood base aas conversation pieces.

You might pull one off the base to see if there is any kind of marking on the bottom of the casting.

Jewelry press like dopping tool. At least that what a fiend uses it for in Mexico. Ya, he designs and makes jewelry.

They look like button presses, for assembling cloth or leather covered buttons.

Maybe for installing grommets in canvas?

Just a guess...

-Bear

Back