Another “Can you identify this tool?” post.

OK---give us some more clues to help us figure these out--like---are both tools exactly the same---what are the dimensions of the upper and lower rams---are the gray adjusters made of wood or metal, and do they have any little wear marks from pressure of the ram---is the clearance for the bottom ram loose or very snug and are there any locks for the adjustable lower ram once the adjuster has the desired height---how deep are the concaves in the rams, and are they the same diameter---and any other clues.
I'm thinking maybe for pressing lenses on watches cases--or for some use in making the small wood planes since he had lots of them---I will look for my cloth button press and the two piece upper and lower metal buttons that get pressed together to fasten the cloth piece on---I know I still have it--if I can still find it--had it for at least 45 years---this gives me a thought of what a new thread I can start---Dave

My guess would be either a button maker or grommets. The anvil looks dished and if it is, then it's likely buttons as grommets usually have a flat anvil with a raised center for rolling the sleeve/boss.

Depending on the size across the anvil, could it be a restaurant juice press? I repaired a similar press for a friend a couple of years ago. It was permitted by the health folks even though not as nice a finish as these. Just a thought.....

OK---give us some more clues to help us figure these out--like---are both tools exactly the same---what are the dimensions of the upper and lower rams---are the gray adjusters made of wood or metal, and do they have any little wear marks from pressure of the ram---is the clearance for the bottom ram loose or very snug and are there any locks for the adjustable lower ram once the adjuster has the desired height---how deep are the concaves in the rams, and are they the same diameter---and any other clues.
I'm thinking maybe for pressing lenses on watches cases--or for some use in making the small wood planes since he had lots of them---I will look for my cloth button press and the two piece upper and lower metal buttons that get pressed together to fasten the cloth piece on---I know I still have it--if I can still find it--had it for at least 45 years---this gives me a thought of what a new thread I can start---Dave

Both ram and anvil measure 7/8 dia. Sliding fit in in the holes . Both Ram and anvil have a semi-spherical hollow about 3/16 deep. The edges are fairly sharp but not razor sharp. Could maybe cut leather - but the minimum distance between ram and anvil -at full stroke is 5/16". The maximum stroke is about 3/8", but for half the stroke, the ram is retracted inside the housing. (which would strip the parts off the ram - if it was a punch.) No dings or wear marks on the tooling. The adjusters are metal. As seen in the pic the base has two magnets- to hold the adguster to the base when not in use.. The finish on the presses would be overboard for a manufacturing environment. The mounting holes in the base even have plastic inserts.
Thanks for all the input!!! Of course its not important to know definitively what they are for - but its always interesting.
Jim

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

Last edited:
The height adjuster on the bottom shows that normal use would see material of various heights or thicknesses being used and the height adjustment is not a very critical adjustment. Could it be a jig to hold something round while work was done to it? Interesting virtual reverse engineering practice.

Back