another new project

Steve,

You just reminded me, that I am going to need a way to cut up large sheets of alum down to sizes that I can use on the mill.

Doc

the mount part took 15 minutes to measure, draw and make the g-code the part took about 20 minutes to cut out with a 3/8 endmill running at 15 inches per minute .100 deep. the center i kept undersize when i cut it out and I used a boring bar to get the fit correct after the cnc finished. the tapping was done with a new power tapper i got... why i didnt buy one of these as one of my first tools i dont know but i love it. as a rule i hated to tap now i dont. not even the 10-24 screws scared me. tomorrow i will adapt the original guard to fit and maybe add a front and rear mount for a guide. when i mounted the plate i set it 1" out from the edge of the blade so i can use a long guide with it clamped to the work.
thanks for looking and your nice comments
steve

I finished the saw today mounting the guard and used it....
long story short i broke the saw, before everyone says it the harbor freight junk again it was my fault. i tried to cut 3 sheets of 16 gauge steel sheet metal all at once stacked and it chattered really hard and stripped the piece the turns the outside blade. if i would have cut them one at a time it would not have happened. " too funny " so i'll buy another saw tomorrow they are on sale. the saw is $49.00, a replacement set of blades is $25 so i guess i'm just out $24 and learned something . so i'll have a new saw 2 sets of blades and a lot of replacement parts. the steady rest worked perfect.
steve

DSCF0487.JPG DSCF0488.JPG

Nice job on the saw guide Steve. That should cut a razor straight line on thin metal. A picture on a cut would be nice when you get the replacement saw.

Thanks for posting!

David

ok david i will take a pic, it cut the 3 sheets nice and straight until it broke. but like i said that was my fault because i didnt stop when it was chattering so hard.
steve

Looking good Steve. Is it all made of aluminum? It kinda looks that way.

hi randy
yes everything i made is aluminum
steve

Hummmmmm, you may find that the aluminum doesn't like to slide real well on itself or other materials. That is if you intend to slide it. You may consider something else for the slide plate. Yeah, I know steel can be heavy. May be a plastic slide plate? :think1:

i got a few requests to see the mill running and i also included the scrap from the jobs pic so you could see depth per pass. it will get a lot better when i speed the mill up with a vfd and 3 phase motor. i also included a video of it cutting 16 gauge steel. it actually works better on thicker metal because it will keep a tooth against the work at all times and not bind like cutting thin metal in a coarse toothed bandsaw.
I purchased a new saw today for $49 and bought the extended warranty this time for $10 it is good for 27 months. next week i'll exchange the saw i broke and have 2 lol
steve

[video=youtube;Q7W-J3yqpXE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7W-J3yqpXE&feature=youtu.be[/video]

I'm only cutting one sheet here not 3 at once.
[video=youtube;6QKaQ83tO-I]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QKaQ83tO-I&feature=plcp[/video]

DSCF0491.JPG DSCF0496.JPG

Back